✔Chapter XXV - To the Dwarf Village

Seraphina was still unconscious and Demian couldn't help but feel like a bomb ticking towards doom. He had ordered his guards to search the vicinity for any more attackers or spies as he paced around, Seraphina lied on the make-shift bed of green grass while the second chauffeur tended to her. Demian had bandages tied over his entire torso and his right arm, he had taken the direct hit from the fireballs to protect Seraphina. It was just in that second that he made the decision of pushing her away, she was a fool who would throw away her life as easily as he threw the people out of his room. He didn't want her to get hurt and in the end he failed to keep his resolution, Seraphina was injured and almost faced an explosion. All because of him. 

Demian clutched his fists as he waited for the guards to return and he heard the chauffeur's voice from behind.

"Your highness, it'll be dark soon and it will be more dangerous to travel through forest," He looked down at Seraphina with concern in his eyes, "It is better if we find a place to spend the night. Her Highness needs proper rest." He said, Demian looked once at his wife and then and the chauffeur.

The dwarves had been living in these forests for decades and had been involved in trade with the humans and other species. The dwarf town would be a safe place since these people were capable of combat when time came and since they came under the Dragons rule so, they would give him the shelter and all the assistance he would need. Apart from that what made him worry was their nature. Dwarves weren't quite the polite and sensible race, on the contrary, they were loud, wild and everything that would make him stay away from them. 

The sound of footsteps made Demian's ears perk up and he turned to see one of his guards walking towards him a long with the two others.

They bowed before reporting, "We searched everywhere thoroughly there isn't any trace of any attacker." 

"How far is the Dwarf town from here?" Demian asked.

"It's not quite far from here, Your Highness." The guard answered.

"We're spending the night there. Make preparations." Demian ordered and the guards replied in unison before scurrying over to the half burnt carriage. 

Demian sat beside Seraphina who was carefully placed in the carraige, and he felt the slight jolt as the carraige was lifted and off they were to the Dwarf town.

****

Seraphina blinked open her eyes and the first thing she saw was the serene blue eyes belonging to Demian.

"You're awake... finally." He breathed as he turned slightly to face her. His back was a painful sight and moving made it worse.

Seraphina smiled and tried to sit up but regretted it as she felt pain all over her body and groaned. The enemy was indeed very powerful and it made her exhausted to the bones. 

The sky was painted crimson twilight as the carraige reached at the borders of the dwarf village. Seraphina looked out of the window and a large gate appeared, she didn't know where they were headed now but this place seemed different from where she had went up till now. The large gate made of iron and wood stood before them, she peeked out to see guards talking to another guards who barely reached their waists. She rubbed her eyes slightly, wondering if she was seeing it wrong, the small children were dressed in armors guarding the large gate. How was this possible?

The dragon guard turned and waved at the carriage and the carriage started moving, Seraphina's jaw hung as she saw the large gate opening and them entering into an alien land. She saw the small guards lining up as the carraige entered and she watched with amazement.

"Why are the children guards here?" She asked and Demian gave her a look.

"Look closely. Do they look like children to you?" He said and Seraphina frowned as she peeked out again and looked at the faces of the guards and realised that they looked like middle aged men with beards and mustaches growing from their faces. They had broad faces with round nose and gave off the boisterous vibe. Seraphina watched as they followed the carraige with spears in their hands. She hadn't ever seen the dwarves in her life before though she had heard quite a lot about them from her friends and guild members but this was something different.