✔LXXIII - Hurt by Dear Husband

Demian came to his chamber and found Seraphina wasn't there. His room was as empty as as before with only decorated tapestries and dragon arts. Whenever she was there, she made this empty chamber of him lit with warmth and her chatty self.

After having the work done for the day, he felt tired and cancelled his dinner with his brother. Of course, Billard grumbled the whole time and fortunately Master Valentine had made an excellent plan.

He suggested to have the dinner at Billard's study chamber which Demian didn't refuse. He was hungry but he wanted to come to his room. His body was acting up and the curse was slowly starting to hurt and there was another reason for him to return to his chamber. He wanted to see her...

Well, not entirely. He made himself believe that.

He opened his vast and coat now wearing only the white shirt and his trousers. He flinched as a wave of pain flooded all over him and he took the table to balance himself. He was tired.

As he came near the mirror, he noticed his face had dried down as if he hadn't had water in ages. Tiredness carved under his eyes as he slowly opened the shirt and clenched his jaw as his eyes swept through his body. The cursed mark had spread across his chest almost devouring him. There was burns and he felt it in his whole being. He had been enduring it for a while.

He didn't let anyone notice how much pain was he in and the whole time he did so, he thought only about Seraphina. Somehow thinking of her made him feel comfortable. He could forget about the pain and concentrate on the work.

Another wave of pain jolted through his body as he felt like fainting right there however he managed to stay conscious.

He knew, he had no time.

He was about to put off his shirt when the door suddenly burst opened and made him startled in the process. He immediately buttoned up his shirt as he turned around and saw Seraphina was there peeking from the door.

As their eyes met, she gave him a small smile and came near. "Did you have your dinner?" She asked.

Demian nodded cautious if she had seen his marks but there was no trace on her face as he sat on the chair while she took the bed to get herself comfortably seated.

"What are you doing here?" He asked rather irritatedly.

"Well, I thought it has been quite a while since I have lectured you on how you are skipping your meals so I just came to check on you if you had your dinner or not." Seraphina said and he knew she was trying to lighten his mood as he had been working like there was no tomorrow. In his case, there wasn't. He didn't know what the future held for him.

She played with the pillow as Demian said, his voice stiff. "I have. You may go now."

There was a hint of coldness on his voice that Seraphina could not understand the reason. "Is something happen?" She asked but he course feel hesitation in her eyes.

"No."

She nodded as she scrutinise him. He somehow felt distant. She just wanted to see him because she was scared. After what Zenith said, she felt helpless and somehow Demian was the person who came to her mind. Only he could make her feel at ease. Only he could calm her racing nerves.

"Oh... I-I thought we could have dinner tog-" she was cut off.

"Seraphina..." Demian said coldly, "I am tired. Would you please leave now?"

Seraphina's brows twisted as she didn't know why suddenly he was acting like this. Did he also come to know about her being wizard? But Zenith said, she wouldn't say a word if Seraphina does as she wanted. She gave her time, hadn't she? Or, was it another plans of Zenith? But then again, Demian would have been angry if he had found out about her, wouldn't he?