✔Chapter XV - The Royal Protector

Chapter 15.

Master Valentine sat on a stool in front of the bar that curved beside the stairs. The corner was barely lit as mid-day rays didn't reach that part. It was what Valentine liked, it gave him his own private corner, separating him from the usual crowd. It was a modest tavern, not very big, but not too small either. Just the right size that the barkeep can keep an eye on all the proceedings in the room without it feeling too cosy.

The room was with splinter laden wooden tables and benches where jungle of chatting filled. People were drinking from tankards full of ale, gruit, cider or mead. Most of them were regulars who lived in the town but Rockmond was also the centre of shady gambles and businesses so, newcomers were present as well.

"You are early," a man beside him said. He had a brown hood covering most of his face however his jaw was exposed with the stubble sprouting on it.

"Did you get what I wanted?"

"Why are you in a rush, Val? Let's get comfortable first," the man said as he put off his cloak head and his long brown hair messily cascaded down on his shoulders. He looked as if he hadn't taken a bath in a long time. The dark circles under the man's eyes, and his dirty appearance deterred his young age.

"Franq, I want to know what you have found."

"My payment?" A mischievous smile spread across the informer's face as he gulped down the beer and asked for a refill.

"How much gold?"

"Well, I don't want gold."

Valentine raised a brow. It was first time, Franq didn't want gold. The only time he didn't take the gold was when they both exchanged information.

"I just want a little information." Franq's grey eyes lingered on Valentine lazily but they glinted deviously. "Where does the old sage of Dragons live?"

"I am sure you already know their whereabouts." It might be hidden from everyone as only the Royals knew where they lived. The sages had powers and were ancient creatures so they went away from the civilisation. But for Franq Almer, it wasn't impossible for him to know. Why would anyone want to know about them? To see their future? Most of them had visions and that was why they lived in seclusion.

"Yes, I know that but what I don't know is about the sabre. Where is it?"

Valentine's brows creased by a millimetre as his gaze bore on Franq intensively.

"Why do you want the dragon sabre?"

"You want the information or not?"

There was a few moments of silence as both the men looked at each other with their intensified gazes. No one was faltering back and Valentine's mind ran notions. Why would he want such information about the sacred sabre? He knew Franq wasn't fond of antiques nor did he like to waste his money to acquire the location of heirlooms. Was it someone else who wanted the information? Valentine never asked him about his other customers but Franq was infamous in the shadows as he was an excellent informer.

"To be honest, I don't know, Franq. Our former king had hidden it and he was the only one who knew. The present King doesn't have any clue." Valentine had seen the sabre one time in his years of service. It was when the King was given the crown, the former king, his father gave it to him but after that, he took it for safe keeping. Nobody gave a second thought about it as it was only an ancient heirloom even Valentine, himself never wanted to know about its whereabouts.

"Billard must know something. Since he will be the next king, wouldn't he be the one to hold it when he will wear the crown?" He asked.

Valentine was certain that both the Princes hadn't ever seen the sabre other than the replica they had. It was a sabre created by previous dragon sages' bones. Was it that important?