✔Chapter VII - That's my husband?

Chapter 7.

Amid the evening mist and the rising moon, the stone walls seemed to hold a supernatural stillness. Some windows, illuminated by reflected firelight, seemed to observe intruders from up high. The causeway that crossed the moat was slick with moss and algae, painting it an eerie green. The portcullis was down, but was stuck two feet from the stone floor. The Courtyard beyond the gate was dark except for a single fire brazier that burned atop an ancient fountain. Its dark water seemed to absorb all light and could leave one's mouth dry with fear.

Though this seemed to invite curious enemies, it brought caution to them as the Dragon Castle was anything but welcoming especially with the grey-haired crown prince. Prince Billard Ernst Hellis Van Salamander stood high in his study chamber where his amber eyes glowed in the dim light of the room. Torches reflected off the water of the moat that seemed home to dark things that swam just out of sight. His eyes concentrated on it yet his mind was somewhere else.

After he became a crown Prince, his work buried him in responsibilities. Especially, toward his brother. After their King had gotten bedridden, he became the pillar and now everything came crashing upon his shoulders.

Footsteps approached behind him as he turned and saw his lady love walking towards him dressed in a maroon gown..

He smiled as she neared Her green eyes glowed and dark hair blended with the shadows.

"What are you doing here, Zenith?"

"You haven't been in our room for quite a while. I was worried you might overwork." Her voice gave him warmth and he desperately wanted to cling to it.

He caressed her smooth jaw and indeed he was tired. But with the preparation of the marriage and the scouting teams' reports he was waiting for, he felt a little restless.

"Tomorrow is a great day." He whispered against her earlobe as he bent over her, balancing his tired body.

"That's more reason for you to take a rest." Zenith, his wife suggested.

But something didn't settle right in his stomach. The alliance between humans and Dragons, many other species would not see it as a good sign. They would try to harm the human princess or his brother. He wondered if he should have sent his men to escort the princess instead of the King's soldiers. As they would have taken the path of Shadow Forest, it was mostly the hunting spot for the bandits. The route being a crossroad between Fireborn and Waterboens along with humans and that of the Dragons. There was a great chance that the bandits or those who had enmity with Dragons or humans would attack.

The thought of enemies made him wary, after years and years of war, he had seen just how gruesome it was and what kind of bloodbath took place during that timespan. Prince Billard just hoped that he wouldn't have to hear any bad news regarding the princess as that might be the only way to protect his brother.

Lately, he heard about a Flame Queen who destroyed the town just by her flames. The wizards were getting powerful and it didn't look good to Billard.

The relationship between them was already bad and if the wizards were slowly improving their powers in secret, there was a good chance they would try to take down the Dragons. He had heard about a King Tier of the Fire nation.

Billard had studied a bit about wizards so he had quite a good knowledge on them. As he would be the next King of the Dragons, he had acquired enough knowledge on various things which would help him and his kingdom.

Feeling the rigid body against him, and a whimper from his wife, he looked at her and realised he had caught her arms a little too harshly.

"I apologise."