LXXXI - The Other Side of A Coin

Billard sat on his chair as Zenith joined him. She seemed to be in a happy mood as she had prepared herself with jewelry and a silk gown that made her look very beautiful.

He acknowledged her as he rummaged his eyes through her and smiled which made Zenith's cheek turn a bright shade of red. However, his mind again wandered off to the reports and the chats of the maids. He had to look into it but the reports of the men he had sent would take at least 3 days to come. And somehow his heart was restless.

Zenith raked her eyes through him and found Billard's face was grave and it frightened her as she never had seen him this serious. Did he not like her clothes?

"What happened?" She asked as it managed to catch his attention.

He smiled but it wasn't genuine as he said, "Nothing."

He raked his hand to her cheek and bend forward to lean in a kiss. As their lips touched, Zenith closed her eyes but Billard's eyes were opened and his mind had occupied with worries.

As they heard a footstep, both of them released the kiss and sat in a composed way; however, Zenith's face was red and she was breathing heavily.

Billard smirked as he liked her all flustered and shy. It was the exact opposite of how she shows herself to others. When Billard was around her, she would put away all of her walls.

The footsteps came as both of them looked at the way and it was Seraphina. Immediately, Billard's smirk replaced with a frown and all of the worries came crashing upon him.

The human princess came with a face that said she wasn't in a good mood as well. She curtsied and her eyes moved toward Zenith which confirmed a tension filled atmosphere around her.

Demian didn't come today as well and he knew it was because of his frequent burns from the curse and his worries grew worse.

Billard was very young when he had heard his father and the old sage talking about the curse. He said in a poetic way but even a little child could read the atmosphere. His father had a frown carved on his face and he looked at infant Demian with eyes of worry and pity.

The curse might end his little brother's life or the life surrounding him. He knew it and he discussed it with Master Valentine about possible cures. The only thing he could come up with was a sacrificial bride.

His eyes moved toward Seraphina again and he felt guilty. If she was the human princess, her life was bound by that curse.

And what if she wasn't...

His mind spoke with an evil voice.

Then he should pity her as well because there was no cure to an inborn curse.

Or was there?

Billard didn't take a bite, instead played with his food. He was torn between a good brother for them and a future king for his kingdom. A king would always make necessary sacrifices but what about Demian?

Would he allow him to do that? It seemed Demian was rather fond of Seraphina.

What if Seraphina wasn't the one she seemed...

Billard bit his lower lip. Then the sacrifice would not hurt him...

Billard stood up as both the women looked at him with their faces startled.

"I-I have to go immediately to my study chamber. I remember I left something..." Billard could not come up with a good excuse as Zenith said, "Well, then at least eat your fill."