✔Chapter X - You're not the Princess, aren't you?

Chapter 10.

The Lotus Garden was a miniature woodland of holly trees and native shrubs, each of them trimmed as if they were green flames. The huge trees rose high among these shrubs creating a kind of filter for the sunlight that seeped around the fleshy leaves and met the ground. To move about them was a sort of music, a poetry that cannot be spoken in words, yet was heard and calmed everything. The squirrels darted between the trees as if they were in a race of collecting nuts and the birds flew singing their daily tales. The wind was soft against Seraphina's skin as her unruly strands swayed jubilantly with it and Demian thought if her whole hair was loosened it would look like a storm-whipped sea. More of a fiery one.

But she wasn't stiff as before. Her curious gaze moved everywhere from the trees to the insects crawling on the ground. Her dress whipped as she took long steps and every hint of paralysis she had until now evaporated as soon as she noticed the Lake.

It was in the middle of the garden and various aquatic flowers floating on the glass-like blue surface. And most of the water congested with beautiful lotus flowers. Pink, red, white.

All the while Seraphina was grinning, bathing in the soft sunlight and Demian felt as if the surrounding had brightened with her presence as if she was a wild spirit trapped in a body. If the wind were a little too harsh, she would fly away and he would never catch her.

Demian paused his stream of thoughts. What was with him today?

Demian's eyes watched her every moment and as soon as she sensed his gaze on her, her stiffness appeared again. He wondered why she was so rigid all of a sudden. Was she scared?

Demian's mind engulfed in thoughts as his eyes scrutinised her from top to toe. She was now walking as if a wooden stick was attached to her back and legs.

"We're done. Let's go back." He said sternly, and she snapped at him.

"What? But it's just a few minutes since we've arrived." She complained.

"You wanted to see the garden now that you have seen it, let's head back."

"It wasn't me, it was your brother." As soon as the words left a frown appeared on her face and she bit her lower lip.

He cocked a brow. She referred the crown prince as his brother. It didn't anger him but amused him as no one with sane mind would dare to talk like that. And he could feel that she realised it already. Corners of his lips curled up in a wicked grin.

"You have a gall to-"

"Ah! A squirrel!" She dashed away from him and he almost mused the gesture adoring.

He turned to join her but suddenly noticed the sound of something sharp cutting through the air and suddenly Seraphina turned with the speed of lightning. Demian saw as she lunged on him and he fell on the ground with her heavy weight pressing him down. He saw the arrow embedded in a tree's bark, his chest throbbed and he felt the burning pain returning and he clenched his jaw.

She looked down at him, "What was that?" She asked, "Are your guards trying to kill me?"

Demian wasn't aware of the reason, the walls of the castle were impenetrable and all of the guards were pledged to loyalty. There was yet no order of harming the human then, why would they try and act on it?

Or, was it intended towards him? But what purpose? He was sure the arrow was aimed for him by the way it was headed right for him.

"Like I care!" He spoke monotonously to hide the seeping pain in his voice and Seraphina's lips twitched in anger.

"Will you move now? You're heavy!" He said as his hands reached her waist to push her away.

But Seraphina's face was red with anger and her fists tightened at her sides and he waited. Would she dare assualt him?