✔XLVIII - When I command you to Breathe only then You Breathe

The ship finally reached the shore of Rockdelia city where Lord Heartstone's knights waited for them in dazzling gold armours. Each had precious stones and beautiful carvings on their armour even their sheathes of the swords had been decked with it. Heartstone had reached the day before their arrival and he had sent three large horse carriages.

Demian moved his eyes around as the ship docked at the port. There weren't many cargo ships not even fishing boats. Just a few and their masters had worn clothes that resembled dirty rags. 

Demian, Seraphina and Alonzo came out of the ship and found Casian and his attendant had already occupied one of the carriages while the other one was for Lord Heartstone's attendant. From afar, he saw the attendant was welcoming Casian and as soon as Casian's eyes met with Demian's, he gave him a knowing smile and Demian diverted his gaze away in annoyance. However, he noticed a large number of soldiers standing beside of the three carriages.

Demian looked at his guards and with just one look, they knew what his orders were. Two of them went to Lord Heartstone's men and rest of the three men stayed behind. 

A stick-like man appeared from Lord Heartstone's carriage with a face like a jar of smashed potatoes and a nose that must have been missing a bone or two. With eyes small as ants, he looked at Seraphina from tip to toe then he gave them a smile with his disarray teeth, broken here and there. He certainly was wearing fine clothes and jewelry that could put a noble man to shame but it raised some questions on his hygiene. 

He came near and bowed with his short back, "Welcome to Rockdelia, Your Highness. I am Irwin, and in my Lord's absence I came to receive you."

"Hmm. It seems Lord Heartstone doesn't know how to welcome his Prince." 

Irwin gave an weird sounding laugh as he added, "I apologize on behalf of my master, Your Highness. He is busy preparing a feast for Prince Demian and Lord Casian."

Demian pointed at the men Lord Heartstone had sent and asked, "Why the large number of men?"

He laughed with his unusual accent and said, "Just to welcome our Dragon Prince." His flattery would make others happy but not him.

As he stood straight again his eyes went toward Seraphina and then to her chest and the way he smiled at her with a lewd look on his face, Demian's jaw clenched. Now he knew why the attendant's face was smashed.

"Who might this lovely young lady be?" He asked as Demian took Seraphina's hand in his hand and answered with a dark smile, "This is my wife, Princess Seraphina Salamander. Be sure to take good care of us if you don't want to end up in the dungeon with me present with you."

The lewd smile of Irwin now replaced with a horrified face and he bowed again to Seraphina, "Err... Welcome Princess Seraphina. Your arrival wasn't mentioned in the letter." 

"Well, that was the last minute change in the plan." Seraphina answered with a smile as she scratched the back of her neck. Irwin nodded but Demian's dark gaze lingered on him all the time.

"Well, please be comfortable in the carriage as it will take a little time to reach the palace," he informed and led them to their ride.

"I shall stay with the chauffeur," Alonzo said and bowed before departing.

Demian and Seraphina hopped on it and Seraphina was almost mesmerized by the inside décor of the ride. Cushions were placed on their soft seats and fine colourful clothes were used in the place of curtains and as if it wasn't enough, the clothes had embroidery and various small stones glowed on them. The needle work had been done quite professionally.

As the carriages started moving, Seraphina said, "They certainly decorated the city with wealth."

Demian didn't say anything as his eyes stayed on the stone made roads of the wealthy city. From the reports he knew, Lord Heartstone's city, Rockdelia hadn't earned much to improvise the city to this extent. It used to get a large amount of gold previously from their trades and crops even the hand made goods but for two-three years, its earnings had decreased drastically. Then how—