LXXVIII - She Was The Strength He Needed

Seraphina had woken up and now her head didn't feel heavy and her eyes didn't burn like the previous day. She felt good. She moved on her bed but felt her right hand had been restricted. She moved around her eyes and saw Demian was there beside her bed, seated on the chair but his head was down on the bed. He was sleeping in his shirt and trousers. He hadn't changed.

The vest and coat he had worn yesterday hung from his chair. He hadn't gone to his room but stayed there. Was it for her?

Seraphina didn't understand why he sometimes acted cold toward her when he would end up worrying about her anyways. Was that some dragon hormones acting up? Not to forget, her anger had long been forgotten in the process.

Her belly fluttered and warmth spread across her cheeks. She moved her eyes at her hand and saw Demian's hands were entangled with hers. Had he slept like this the whole night?

Had he been waiting for her to wake up? Her heart thumped and even though she didn't want to, her lips curled up. But then the words Master Valentine said chanted in her mind like some voodoo magic and the smile evaporated.

Him and her were never meant to be together. They were from two different races. The two strong races which had been fighting for a very long time. No one would accept this and maybe after Demian came to know of her identity, he would not accept her.

Her heart sank but her eyes stayed on Demian's boyish face. She had never noticed, he had thick eye lashes and thin lips. He looked very peaceful and she wanted to carve his memories in her mind for eternity.

Her chest suddenly felt tight with the thoughts of leaving him. Her lips trembled and she didn't know why it hurt. It hurt so much that she didn't want to be a wizard anymore. If only she hadn't been a wizard maybe, just maybe she could have stayed with him forever. But if she wasn't a wizard, she could never have met him. Because she had a disastrous power, her father had placed a seal and sent her to marry the water guild master. Because she had powers she fought with the bandits and got exchanged with the human bride. It was all because of her being a wizard that she had come across Demian.

For a moment, she tried to imagine what if she wasn't a wizard. Had she met him?

She looked at him and got up slowly, careful not to wake him up while she pulled her hand. She put a sheet on him.

Maybe it was for a very short time but she liked everything about Dragon Land. She liked the times she had spent with Demian and she would cherish it forever. She would live in a faraway land and remember him in her memories forever. A drop of tear fell from her eyes she hadn't realized.

Demian opened his eyes and immediately she averted her gaze away from him. But the damn tears wouldn't want to stop!

"You are awake..." Demian sat straight as he said in his deep voice and saw the sheet covering him. As he looked at Seraphina, she turned around.

She said, "Ye-yes..." Her voice cracked a little but she managed to stop her sniffs.

"Great. Now I will get going..." He removed the sheet, "I have work..."

As soon as he stood, his legs trembled and pain shot through his entire body as he was about to fall. Seraphina immediately went to him and held him as Demian started to heave for air.

"Wh-what is happening?" Seraphina asked rather panicking as Demian pushed her away and held his chest. He sat on the floor clutching his chest with his clenched palms. The pain had returned and he had to reach his chamber before anyone witnessed him in this state.

"N-nothing." He could not even say a word. It felt like someone was squishing his heart. Seraphina sat next to him on the floor as she rubbed his back knowing so well it won't help.