✔Chapter XVI - Dragons don't run away from a fight

Chapter 16.

It was two against one as Seraphina faced the assassins, it would be dangerous to engage in a fight with them before so many people. First, it would blow Demian's identity which was only by miracle had been a secret till now and second, it might cause some serious collateral damage. So, the only option that Seraphina found helpful was, escape.

"We're going to run." She whispered to Demian who stood right behind her.

"Dragons don't run from a fight." He hissed back.

"Well, then go ahead and fight them."

"You are capable to fighting, right? So why do you plan to escape?"

"Are you a daft? Look around there are people here and if anything happens to anyone who will be responsible?"

Seeing Seraphina distracted the two guards attacked and Seraphina noticed this from the corner of her eye. She quickly grabbed Demian's hand as she moved and saw a few sacks on the cart nearby, before any thought she dashed towards it and grabbed one of the sacks and slammed it on the face of the advancing attacker. The cloud of dust rose and Seraphina gripped Demian's hand tightly as she made a run for it.

She could hear the sounds of the people shouting and even the sounds of the wheezing arrows that were probably shot at them. She was praying that they would get out of this place before anyone could get seriously injured. She occasionally looked back at Demian who was gripping his cloak so that the hood wouldn't fall off his head and looked more or less like he was being dragged by a giant wolf. The dirt road which led to the dragon palace came into Seraphina's view and soon they were inside. She almost rejoiced thinking that they might be safe but her hopes were crushed as she felt the ground sinking beneath her feet and she quickly jumped back taking Demian back and looked at the ground around her. How could there be a sandpit in the middle of this dirtroad?

The attackers weren't far and Seraphina couldn't get enough time to breath before she held Demian in a protective corner as she faced the attackers. She clenched her teeth as she looked at the two, although their faces were covered she knew they were thinking that they'd won this fight. But they didn't know that Seraphina wouldn't go down that easily.

The first attacker pounced on her and Seraphina blocked his attack with the sword that she had taken from the prior fallen attacker. The attacker sent a flurry of swift blows and soon the second one joined as well. Seraphina observed their attacks and then thought of a strategy they moved their abdomens and arms a lot leaving their lower bodies vulnerable. She pushed one back and used that moment to duck from the another's attack and kicked his legs from under him, once he was down she stabbed her sword into his chest and he grunted before he stopped moving. The other seemed furious to see this and advanced at a more ferocious speed and it was right in that moment that Seraphina felt the ground beneath her feet clutching at her ankles restricting her movements. She cursed understand her breath as she was stuck to the ground she still blocked the attacks coming her way.

"What the devil is this?" She heard Demian's voice from behind and saw him sinking into the ground faster. The ground had swallowed him till his knees, Seraphina felt her breath freezing in her throat.

Bleeding and rendered to the ground Seraphina was almost losing the sense of rational thinking. She glared at the attacker blinded by the rage, in normal circumstances with this much overwhelming anger a volcano of of violet flames would've swallowed the entire Dragon Forest. But, since there were no flames even after this much then the seal would be strong enough. This made Seraphina even more angrier. She growled and turned the tip of her sword and stabbed the ground near her right foot ripping it to cracks and pulled it out. Even with the full length gown Seraphina pulled a roundhouse kick on the attacker, the movement released her second foot as well and she saw as he stumbled back. She quickly went back to Demian who was almost waist deep into the ground, the ground was marshy around the surface so, Seraphina wrapped her hands under his armpits and started pulling him out. She winced and groaned as the pressure of pulling Demian out strained her injured arm which still had the arrow poking out of it.