Chapter 96 - Reginald, the strategist

Foyed town was almost deserted and very little population resided there as the town was in a desert, people had hard time getting food and needed supplies. Nearest cities or town residents came here mostly to sell their goods and mostly people came here for other shady businesses. Bad people with bad businesses.

They either sold women, children or some antiques or magic runes which were most precious but traded here illegally. Stealing and burglary were common in this town. The town people had no other option to gain money so almost every town's people were into these shady kinds of businesses including stealing and burglary.

Dragon Kingdom wanted to help the town but they had one condition that was to take the whole town under their kingship. But the town's head was a greedy man who was gaining a small share from those illegal businesses that were held in his town thus he never let the dragons take control of that. He knew he would lose all that extra money if the dragons took control of the town.

Prince Billard would stop every trade and if there was a trade he would put a tax on it. Although Prince Billard would stop the illegal trades, he would make the town good for the town residents who were still poor or still sold their own children or wives.

Reginald had been tasked with the supervision of the town's illegal activities and he knew every inch of that town. And he was certain the dark guilds would come here because that was the only town which wasn't under Dragon supervision but it was near the Dragon capital.

He had some traits beforehand as his senses grew. He could sense the same dark aura that he had sensed in the castle when they abducted the Prince.

His eyes washed over the small streets where sands flew with everyone's steps. The hotness in the air grew as he got a different smell. It was just like he had in the castle. Same smell that was on the letter. It must be the same person who wrote it.

He said, "The enemy is near."

There was no sound behind him and he looked back to find Xia was struggling with her steps and each step made her stumble on her own feet. Reginald gave her a blank face and Xia whispered-shouted, "What! My legs have scales and it is getting stuck on the gown!"

Reginald ignored her and looked back at the street as if he didn't know who his companion was.

"Hey, don't avoid me, you son of a..." Before she could finish, Reginald's senses worked fast and he took a hold of Xia's hand and yanked her as a splash of electricity hit the place where Xie was a moment ago.

Reginald said in a lazy voice, "I told you to be careful."

"When?!" Xia growled.

"Just now." He disregarded her as he looked at the castor. Indeed they were onto him as well. It would have been a rookie mistake if the wizards weren't cautious as well. Now it made Reginald a little excited because they had sensed him as well.

"Look who is here?" A person's voice came just above him as he took Xia on his shoulder and jumped back to the otherside while the few pedestrians ran away from there.

Reginald looked up and saw a person wearing a long white robe sat on the top of the house smiling at him.

"Seems like our traps didn't work in the ruins, nonetheless the flame queen is here already so it doesn't matter." He said as another of his companions came out from a narrow alley and smiled sinisterly.

Well, at least they caught in his traps, Reginald thought as he pretended to protect Xia and pushed her behind him. Xia played along as she didn't say a thing and went behind him while hiding her face from the enemies.

"So, did our boss say to kill Seraphina?" The man who came from a narrow alley asked.

"No. He wants her alive." The other man who was still sitting on the roof said as he stood up and added, "but our boss doesn't want anyone extra other than the flame queen."