✔Chapter XIII - Let The Uncouth Ogre be like this

Chapter 13.

When Demian shifted in his mattress, he found it hard to move. As if his body was wrapped around something soft. He opened his eyes, and as he tilted his head to his side, the first thing he saw was freckles. Like a sprinkle of red sand scattered on the peacefully sleeping face. Seraphina lied beside him deep in her slumber with audible hoarse noises. 

There was a moment of silence before the sight could properly register in his head. The loud noise he had been hearing in his dream was Seraphina's snoring while her hands had encircled him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He growled in a throaty voice but some incoherent words left from her mouth as she moved slightly. It seemed, she wasn't going to wake up soon.

When did she come? He thought to himself as his eyes moved to her hands. He wondered if his heat had burned her or not. However, there weren't any scabs or burn marks on her skin, just plain pale skin. He was certain his body would grow hot enough to the temperatures that a normal human wouldn't survive being this close to him. Then, how was she holding him? And, had they been in this same pose for entire night? The question brought the redness to his cheeks and he eyed her.

He didn't quite remember anything about her coming to his room other than the excruciating pain he had all over his body and each day it was growing that at some point he wanted it to end.

He tried to unclasp her hands but found it was tight and he was shirtless. The scales on his skin grew to his left shoulder and had spread across his waist but it didn't hurt like before. The blue spirals had also spread across his chest and suddenly all the consciousness rushed upon him. She had seen him in his weakened state!

He looked at her sleeping body angrily but found it evaporated the moment his eyes landed on her innocent looking face. He was so close to her that he could almost see the light twitches on her brows and the mumbling. Was she having a dream?

Her red hair wasn't tied back with any pins or bands like yesterday. The curls were long and scattered across their pillows. For a moment, he could not resist touching it as he took a few strands in his hands, twirling it in his fingers. He rested his chin on his hand as his eyes took in her face. Then his eyes moved to her lips. They were plum and full and unconsciously his other hand left the curl strands and reached for her lips.

He paused, startled by his action. He bit the inside of his cheek. What was he going to do?

He moved his hand to her nose and pinched it hard choking her snores. She opened her eyes immediately with a squeak.

"What was that for?" She cried and jolted up on the bed, her hair fell on her shoulders. She soothed her nose and glared at him. 

"What are you doing here?" His cold gaze held her as she halted while taking a yawn.

"Err... I thought I should give you a good lecture on why you should not make your bride wait for you in our quarter." She stretched her back.

"Are you that desperate for my attention?" He cocked an eyebrow and her cheeks turned to the colour of her hair. 

"I am certainly not!" 

"Why are you here then?"

"Like I said, I was here to give you an earful on your bad conduct but then–" She stopped and looked at him and he raised his eyebrows.

"But then?" 

"But then I saw you had fallen asleep here so, I thought I'd just sleep here too." She said and he resisted the urge to smack his forehead. 

"Are you awake now?" He asked and she yawned widely.

"Yes." 

"Get out then. I have works to do." He got himself out of the sheets.