✔Chapter XXVI - The Dwarven Feast

Tables were set as the small folks came with bowls and plates while singing in unison. Foods floated in on each platter as they threw those to the next person standing near them playfully until every single container filled the tables. The vivid colours of the food spoke of its freshness and the bold flavours yet to be discovered. Demian could not fathom how they were made but strangely it reminded him of their lunch in Rockmond. In normal circumstances, he would refuse to take it but he knew he would only miss the greatness of it. A faint smile tugged on his lips.

His eyes fell on Seraphin and he found her gulping down another mug of ale. Even the elder dwarf had joined her. All the dwarves who joined them had almost finished three barrels or more of ale and Demian watched his wife with utter amusement as she had no clue when to stop.

After every mug they were laughing hysterically and their conversation went on. He felt it unusual as how Seraphina could mingle with them and the dwarves had no problem with it. If she had acted like this in the castle then-

He felt a knot forming in his stomach and he could not stop thinking about how a princess would find no problem with any of this.

Another boisterous laughter from the group snapped him out of his reverie.

The village folks were too noisy for Demian's liking but they were very friendly and as he watched Seraphina closely, he found she was enjoying here rather than in his castle.

Demian felt an unknown relief watching her smile however, the burn on his back made it worse to even move. He fisted his palms; a mere attempt to hide his pain.

"Your highness?" A guard of his approached and whispered.

"Yes?"

"May we order them to make haste so his highness and Princess Seraphina could rest early?"

He looked at Seraphina and said, "No," and added absentmindedly, "Let her enjoy a little while she can." Because when she would go back to the castle she might not be able to come out again. Demian almost felt downhearted as if the castle would confine her as a cage and her wildness would disappear. He liked how careless and playful she was now as if he was witnessing a different side of her.

His head ached painfully and Demian wanted not more than a good rest but seeing her so happy, he thought it would be better to wait a little.

Sera came beside him and announced, "I will fill my stomach to the fullest!"

"Go ahead." He said as he felt his eyelids become heavy and his whole body fired up. He wished the curse wouldn't get active now or else, it would be hard to contain the secret anymore.

Seraphina took almost everything in her plate and pointed at a bowl where wispy luminous things floated and she asked the elder, "What's this?"

"Oh that's mushrooms and we've picked them up freshly from the mountain."

She nodded as she took a bowl of it and tasted it. "This is amazing! I never had mushrooms before."

The cook who had gone through all the hard work of making of all sorts of different dishes for their guests felt his chest sweilling with pride and ticked with shyness as a broad grin spread across his face.

Demian certainly never had mushrooms but given in his situation, he felt he would pass out any moment. His chest heaved with deep breaths and his eyes and nose stung. He wanted to lay down but he stayed there while clenching his teeth.

Suddenly, Seraphina asked worriedly, "You are sweating a lot. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." His reply came in an instant. He could feel her eyes scrutinizing him but he met her gaze and raised a brow.