✔XXXIV - That Little Devil!

Catherine had never felt so tense in her life, of course, other than around Princess Zenith who would demand anything out of the blue and she had to obey no matter what. 

All the time, she was near Celia, she felt her heart might stop pumping blood. Two days ago she had no clue that the excellent maid of whom she was praising in front of her highness, was maybe a wizard. 

Catherine peeked at Celia as the young maid put the dried leaves on the hot water pot. "Now, wait for a few minutes as it will leave its colour."

Catherine looked warily at the pot. What if she was adding something else so her highness might get sick or worse loose her mind. Personally, if that happened, there wouldn't be anyone more than happy than the head maid as she had to work extra hours because of Zenith's demands. She bit her tongue. 

What was she thinking? She was bad-mouthing her highness! Was that some magic of the young maid? It could have been as she heard the princess saying about her powers and guilds and Lord knew what else. 

Even though Catherine was a low level dragonborn who didn't have the blessing to turn into a dragon, she had the ability to sense if an unexpected individual came around her. However, she had never sensed anything from Celia. But what about Princess Seraphina? 

Now that she recalled that Celia had requested them to take care of the Princess alone. She never allowed any other maids in her chamber. Catherine never found it suspicious but now it all started to connect. If the maids went near her, they might have sensed that the princess was no ordinary human but a wizard. Clever! Now she couldn't wait any longer to tell her highness about it. 

What if, she thought, what if Princess Zenith rewarded her after she gave the information... Gold coins or maybe some jewels or ornaments. She smiled inwardly as expensive ornaments that princess Zenith wore came before her eyes. She smacked herself in her mind. 

What was she thinking? She sounded like a greedy person! Was that the effect of the wizard beside her? It must be! She had to be careful otherwise the wizard would eat her mind. 

Her highness must be suspicious and that's why she and the other three maids were sent to watch them. No wonder Princess Zenith was very smart. Catherine shivered.

"And now close the lid."

"Huh?" Catherine asked as Celia took a moment to observe her and she stepped back. What if she does something with her magic? 

"Is there something wrong?" Celia asked. 

"Ahaha, no. Nothing. Really. I—" Catherine didn't know what else she would say and her answer came in single words. She didn't even know how to come up with an excuse. 

"I was just tired." She added quickly. 

Celia smiled and said, "Don't worry, I will make the tea for your highness and Feya will give it to Princess Zenith."

"Ah! No! I am alright. I can... I can just go give her the tea. Don't worry," Catherine said nervously as her body went rigid before Celia's watchful eyes. 

Celia nodded but still her eyes stayed on Catherine as Catherine started to sweat. Was she suspecting that she knew their princess was a wizard? 

"You are sweating a lot, Catherine," Celia said as Catherine's heart thumped in her ears. "Take some rest. I will tell Feya to give it to her highness." Celia said worriedly. 

"No, I—"

"No!" Celia said stopping Catherine abruptly, "Just go and get some rest. I will take care of the rest of the work here." Celia smiled and added as she pushed Catherine from behind so she would go out of the kitchen, "If her highness asked for you, I'll tell, you didn't feel well."