Chapter 88 - The Last Breath

Demian was feeling extremely anxious about how Seraphina was in the dungeons and at the same time, he had to faint. He wanted to use his powers to get her out of it but his consciousness gave out.

When he opened his eyes, his body was drenched in sweat and the scales had grown to his left chin. Half of his body was devoured by it and he didn't feel it. It was numb as if he was stuck with poison. His heart was racing like a horse in a marathon and every beat was painful. From the tip of his hair to the nail of his feet, every single part of his body felt like needles were piercing through it.

He breathed heavily as he tried to sit but his hands weren't moving. He could not see anything as if he was seeing through a glass. Where was he?

Was he dying?

He felt water on both sides of his face, wetting the cloth beneath his head. It was his tears. Was he crying?

He moaned. Pain jolted through his veins as black and blue dots appeared before his eyes.

"Seraphina..." His voice was barely audible but somehow he managed to breathe it out.

The red haired girl appeared in his mind and smiled at him. Her freckles spread on her face like sand dusts. She had occupied every thought of him and all he wanted to see was her.

Just one last time...

"Seraphina..."

He got up with all the power he could muster. He was burnt in pain yet he dragged his feet. As he moved his eyes around the room, he found it was his room.

There was no one in it. Just him and the emptiness of it that he was well accustomed to. But today, he didn't like it. He wanted to be with her. He was scared of the hollowness of his heart and the loneliness of dying.

He wanted to see her.

He didn't know when he reached the door. He tried to twist it open but it seemed he had no strength.

"Seraphina..."

His body was giving out slowly and painfully. He leaned against the hard wood as he could not risk falling down. He was afraid if he fell down on the floor, he would never stand again.

He took his breaths as his mind recalled the times he had spent with Seraphina. The anger of her which he used to enjoy teasing with, the shyness when her face portrayed the same color of her hair. The sadness on her face which made him even more sad and the crying face of her which made him angry at whomever made her cry.

Drops of tears came out of Demian's eyes as it fell on the ground.

Why was he crying?

He thought he had closed his heart long ago. He thought he had forged it with iron. He thought no one could ever break him. But why was he breaking down?

"Seraphina..." He mumbled as each breath he took hurt.

The red haired boisterous girl had managed to melt all the iron from his heart before he could know. She was indeed a great wizard and he loved that wizard.

It was always forbidden for them but fate had bound them together and now he was going to die before cherishing it.

He regretted not telling her that he loved her. He wanted to tell her everything. He wanted to cherish her and more than that he wanted to live with her.

Seraphina...

Suddenly as if his hands had gotten its strength back, he opened the door. He will see her today.