44 | finding out you were mistreated

happy friday! this chapter is another request that comes from androgynousfemboy that asked for a chapter that would cover what would happen if a character found out that you were being ab*sed by your father. this person is going through a really rough patch in their life right now, and i hope this chapter could help a little ^^

i'm all down for writing darker topics, but i do try to keep this book mainly lighthearted. feel free to request some dark stuff and i might stuff it in between a chapter or two. hope you guys enjoy! and yes, this chapter does have sensitive subject material - if you're uncomfy with any mentions of being mistreated and whatnot (nothing after this paragraph is censored), please don't read. thank you!

-

Eren: Eren doesn't know how to feel about this situation. What I mean is that he's feeling confused, angry, sad, and frustrated all at the same time. He's mostly confused, though, as he wonders how in the world someone could abuse you - much less your own father. He wants to act on impulse and come at your dad, but you don't let him. It's hard for him to understand why you can't just let him beat the ever living heck out of him for you, but you explain that in situations like these, you can't really fight fire with fire. You tell him that the best he can do as of now is listen to your story and support you. While he prefers his own idea of beating your dad up, he feels the need to listen to you and does exactly as you ask. He's great at being on your side and will do most things to support you.

Mikasa: She noticed something was off, but she never realized that it was something like this. Growing up with very few family and close friends, Mikasa imagines it to be awful to have someone that should be so close to you mistreat and abuse you. She's sort of in shock. But at the same time, she accepts the harsh reality of the situation. Her strongpoint is mostly listening, but because of her hard past, she's also great at helping you find ways to cope. Tips to relax, how to stay calm, letting you vent to her when needed, etcetera. She also manages to find ways to have you stop worrying about it, turning the conversation around to something you like. It's not that she interrupts you while you're venting, but she always tries to get your attention focused on something else in your free time.

Armin: Armin's heard of things like this happen, but he's never actually had a bond with someone who has went through these sort of things. He's kind of shell shocked by everything, but tries to keep up. He asks for every single bit of information that you're comfortable sharing with him, and then goes off that. You can clearly tell that he cares for you in this because he's doing everything in his power to try to help - reading and listening to stories of abuse survivors, calling help lines for advice, and sorting things out with some of your family. He even tells Eren and Mikasa that you're having a rough time and that they should try to be careful with what they say to you. Armin even discusses with you ways that you can defend yourself from your father and how to stay away from him as much as you can (assuming that you live with him).

Levi: Growing up without a father, Levi doesn't have a lot to say. He suggests that you leave your father and everything associated with him, but he's willing to listen if you don't agree. As we all know, Levi isn't the type to make decisions for you. He might suggest stuff once in a while so that you can defend yourself or what to say when your father asks about him, but the choice is mostly up to you. Instead of giving advice, Levi just tries to be your emotional support for the time being. Not in the sappy, traditional way, though. He tells you that he's been in a lot of situations where it feels as if he's been betrayed, and that whenever you talk to him, he almost always understands. If it comes down to it, he swears that he'll fight for your life. And that's enough to help you out a little.

Erwin: Erwin's manipulated tons of people before. But he can't imagine the cruelty behind abusing your own child - even he has better morals than that. He shows his support through making you feel safer with him than your father, always trying to make up for your mistreatment by treating you like royalty. Of course, it's not a big enough bandage to cover your entire wound, but it's most of what Erwin can do when he's so busy. Though he's willing to break his calm demeanor in order for you to feel loved and safe. "Your father is a liar," he said one night. "Tell me this. When he says those things about you, does he have any reason to? When he says that you're worthless, can he ever give an explanation why? No. But when I call you beautiful, I could list a million reasons and it would never be enough."

Hange: Hange is pretty fed up with your father. Ever since the two of them met, they've always noticed that something was off. Now she does, and, like Eren, she's not very far from acting on impulse and scheming on destroying your father with their bare hands. But she doesn't. After a while, they calm down and start asking everything you know about your father's actions. Being a science nerd, they explain to you whatever is causing your father to act like this. Then, they go on to say what you can do to hit him hard - not physically though. They come up with a lot of things that would theoretically help you in your fight against him. Other than that, Hange's good at cheering you up. When you're down, they're sure to keep the tone serious, but they do their best at letting you know that while your father sucks, you always have a few friends to back you up.

Mike: He's pretty direct with confronting you about it. It's one of the rare times where he's willing to literally talk things out, as mere body language can't tell every detail of a hard situation. When you talk about it, he 100% listens and understands if there are things you don't want to mention. After that, it seems as if nothing has happened with him. But ever since, he's started making small changes to your relationship. He barely asks how your parents are anymore, gives people hints that you don't want to talk about your father, and in general tries to do things that will help you, little by little. And in his free time, he talks to others and takes their advice on what he should be doing to directly help you. But you can already tell that he cares for you deeply, and there's nothing he wants more than for you to be secure wherever you are.