91 | attending your funeral

happy saturday all! meant to post this earlier but lacked the energy. hope everything is going well, i know some people here might be reading this on spring break so howdy B) you guys hear about the new aot x fortnite collab? also about jjba part 9 coming out? i read it and really enjoyed it, i meant to reread jojolion earlier but now i'm just reading both because why not

anyway biggggg trigger / content warning because this chapter contains lots of death, and also some have a pov switch to the second person (refers to the reader with you/your pronouns) if that makes you uncomfy. stay safe and have fun reading, i'll feed you all again soon with another chapter

Eren:

A cemetery was the last place Eren thought he could find peace, yet here he was. Alone, the sun coming up from its own grave and spreading light across the hilled horizons.

He blinked in realization that the funeral had ended last night. Despite that, he was still here, wondering about Y/N L/N, a lover gone too soon. A few seconds ago, he swore he was holding them in his arms.

What was even more confusing was his emotions. Eren wasn't angry. Sort of? He usually would be in situations like this, where something unjust and inhumane had been done. Though this wasn't the case. Y/N hadn't died due to a media-worthy murder or being fodder for a titan. It was just a bad accident where they fell down a set of stairs. There wasn't anything to be mad about; it wasn't really anyone's fault.

Or...could he have done something?

The boy cupped his head in his hands. Blaming himself wasn't what he needed. What he needed was Y/N back...

A noise infiltrated his train of thought. A small bird, no bigger than the palm of his hand, squeaked at him from atop Y/N's gravestone. It fluttered small wings with intricate feathers, tilting its head in curiosity.

Eren's eyes widened. "You're...back," he smiled.

Mikasa:

The rain was cold. Everything was going dark. And in the corner of a graveyard, far away from her lover's grave and the funeral happening, Mikasa Ackerman found it hard to breath.

She had run away after staring into your tombstone with the pain of denial. Out of everyone, you were always the one there to help with her anxiety. Always following up on your promises to stay, not leave like everyone else. The one to console her, to comfort her...why did you have to betray everything she thought you were for?

No, the thought flashed in her mind. Don't think like that. You're being selfish.

Another tear melted down her cheek, dropping to the ground and blending in with the hard rain. Her lover had died, yet all she could think of was herself. Was she that broken?

Mikasa took a deep breath. Her face and hair were soggy and spoiled from being out in the weather for so long, though she had no intention of moving from her spot. She knew it wouldn't happen, but she clung on to the hope that Y/N would come and touch her shoulder to give her the warmth she longed for.

Armin:

What type of lover couldn't attend half of your funeral? What type of person would be so heartbroken as to be forced to retell stories and sacred memories at the place where you were to be buried, only to give up and run for the bathrooms?

Armin was. He didn't want to be; it was in his nature. Every bad thought was festering in his head, boiling and bubbling into a concoction that made him want to throw-up. All the other times it felt like Eren or Mikasa or any of the other Survey Corps members were about to die, they were saved. They lived. Why couldn't you? Why didn't he do something? Why was he such-