39. IN TIME

====================

Soul tear is also an effect of an illegal physical removal of the soul signs through DNA manipulation.

====================

13 YEARS AGO

"Daun-chan! Omedato...congratulations! You did great!" Everyone was praising her after the recital. She had played the most difficult piece she could ever learn. She had practiced for weeks. She was one of the youngest among the participants but she had captivated the whole auditorium with her entire performance.

She got the trophy.

She was supposed to be happy with it. She was supposed to rejoice, but a particular someone who she badly wanted to hear those praises was not even present on the venue.

"Ojisan? Where is papa?" Her large eyes showed sadness as she held the bouquet of flowers that the man gave her. Did you give him the invitation?

"He has something to do Daun-chan. Don't worry. I caught everything on camera. He will love it!"

Lie.

He said all those words with an obvious sweat on his forehead. Nonetheless, her young mind accepted it. "Really? I'll tell him myself later." Her eyes shone in anticipation as she looked over the other participants who were lovingly embraced with their parents. She wanted that too.

Later that night she was wailing with grief when her beloved violin was smashed on the carpet.

"I told you not to stand out so much. I told you to stop this."

"I-I thought you will like it. Mama-" She meekly whispered.

"That whore mother of yours!" His voice angry as he griped her chin. It's bruising. She wailed with pain, shoulders heaving with wet sobs.

"Yoshi!" His uncle's voice boomed as the door banged open. The gentle man pulled her away, soothing her. "What is happening to you?" He asked furiously.

"Shut it. I don't want to listen to you." Her papa never looked again as he walked away from the room.

It was always like that. Learning piano did not even pleased him. Learning violin did not even make him smile. Daun was known as a genius in such a very young age. She could even speak 3 languages fluently apart from knowing to play such musical instruments. Her IQ was beyond her grade. She enjoyed complex calculations. She could even grasp the things that adults are worried about. She just couldn't understand one thing.

Her papa.

She was aware that she was not his biological daughter. No matter what she did will never equate to someone who was his flesh and blood. When she killed her mother, as her papa always accused of her of, she robbed him of that opportunity. She presumed that he was angry because he could not have a real child, he can call his own.

She was supposed to distance herself form him but he was her only family. She could not help but love him as a real father. She just wanted his forgiveness. She wanted to be his daughter, not just in paper.

She wanted the smile and the embrace of her papa.

**********

10 YEARS AGO

"I don't think I need to learn this." She flatly told her uncle after his suggestions to learn a new piece in piano. After all the failed attempts to please him she had no will to make efforts anymore. It seemed that nothing could make her papa happy at all. She doubted she would be invited for his birthday. She was better off his radar or with his wrath, she would end up with the darkness of the pantry again or with his cruel hands.