Chapter. 13 Lock It All Inside

I will not tell Shuichi and my parents about what transpired today. I'll just keep what happen today a secret and lock it away inside me like I always do. I don't want them to worry about me so I just ignore the pain on the side of my ribcage for the remainder of the day. I'll have to check on it after school for any bruising.

I begin thinking about what Yuki said while walking home along side Shuichi. Should I really discontinue my friendship with Shuichi?. We've just only begin to grow comfortable around one another and enjoy each other company.

'Do I want to throw that away?'

I shake the thought out of my head. Of course not.

'No, I will not let a group of girls with some petty jealousy issues get in the way of our friendship' I stubbornly think to myself with furrow brows.

'This is the few good things in my life I cherish, I don't want to let go of that, not when it just beginning to blossom'
____

Kurama take note of the melanate girl unusual silence and frowns. She looks to be thinking about something important because her brows are furrow, a stubborn gleam is in her dark brown eyes as she walks.

He wonders what she's thinking about.

He also notice her wincing in pain after gym. She tried to hide it but Kurama instantly picks up on it. After all he is analytical and nothing can get pass him, no matter how small the details may be. He just wonders why she lied once he asked her what's wrong.

The moment her scent changed after she told him that she was fine he knew instantly that she lied. He can tell when someone is lying just by their scent alone.

He know the girls in their first hour class also share her fifth hour P.E class with her. The ones who offer he declined about two weeks ago, around the same time Winter begin to act different from her usual self. He seen the way they look at her with such hatred and malice, he's certain that they are the cause of her panic. He sees the way she fearfully reacts when they glare at her, her heart rate picks up as her breathing begins to quicken. Unnoticeable to most humans, but Kurama isn't all that human himself.

He worries about her. He considers her a friend despite what took place just a few months ago and to see her like this dosen't settle well inside him. As he told her if she needed to talk about anything she could talk to him and he meant that. He wonders why she's not taking his offer. Does she think he won't be able to get things done, that he won't be able to protect her?. He will do it without a second thought because he generally values her, not just as a human being but as a person who he can be more or less himself with.

He only wants to make sure she's safe and happy. Most of her smiles, save for a very small few, as of recently are more fake and forced, he can tell the difference from his observation of her. Seeing her without one of her usual authentic smiles he has come to adore and look forward to seeing everyday.

Makes him feel uncomfortable in a way he's not use to being.
____

Once Shuichi and I get to his house we are welcome by Shiori at the door. A gentle smile is on her countenance as she looks at us. My mind is currently elsewhere as I blankly stare at her.

"Hello, Shuichi, Winter" She cheerfully greets.

"Hello mother, has your day at work has gone well?" He asks as he take off his shoes.

"Yes it has" She nods then look at me.

"Winter?" She asks in concern, breaking me out of my thoughts. I owlishly blink at her.

"Oh, hello" I silently mumble moments later once I realize I didn't reply. I feel a bit guilty. Shiori looks at me, noticing my change in demeanor. I never was one to be able to hide my emotions. I absentmindedly take off my shoes as well and place them by the door. Shiori looks to her son.