Chapter. 25 Winter's First Mission

The next day I take a walk around the neighborhood once I get home from school. I need something to clear my head. Both of my parents aren't home and I know it's because they're visiting Shiori. The temperature is cool with a nice breeze as the sun sets beautifully over the horizon. While walking by a riverbank I feel a presence behind me and turn around. I'm gazing at the familiar black haired Shinigami clad in her black kimono riding a oar.

"Hey Ayame, what's up?" I question in surprise.

"Koenma sent me here to tell you that there's a fugitive demon roaming around here" She informs me as she flys closer enough to me where she is only just a few centimeters away.

"Wow, would this be classified as my first official mission?" I ask.

"Yes and I'll be your guide" She nods in reply. She begins to explain to me in detail about the mission.

"This demon is known for going after girls at night in alleyways and underpass, so far at least 10 human girls between that ages of 14 and 18 have gone missing because of this particular demon, it's up to you to capture him"

"So in order for me to get this particular demon, I'll have to capture him by luring him in since I so happen to be what this particular demon prefers to eat?" I question once she finish explaining.

"Yes, this demon preferably feasts on human girls." She replies with a nod.

"How will I be able to find this demon then?" I question, brows furrow in determination.

"You can use your spiritual awareness to pinpoint him and your spiritual energy to capture him. He is said to follow unsuspecting girls near bridges and alleyways. Our last sighting of him lead us to this area so he can't be far"

I nod in reply.

"I'll be sure to do my job" I state as I furrowed my brows. She smiles.

"I have faith you'll get the job done. If you need me just call my name, I'll be nearby watching your progress" She dissapears into the sky.

I walk along the riverbank and stumble upon a bridge. Under the dark and empty bridge, I hung our for what feels like hours. By this time the sun has finally set and it's dark now.

'Is this demon even going to appear?' I think to myself, bored as I kick away a pebble.

As if my question has been answer, I suddenly feel a presence behind me as footsteps echos all around me.

'There you are' I quietly smirk to myself. Well that was easy. Turning around, I put on a facade of a fake shock and scared expression. A 'normal' boy around my age is standing just a few meters behind me. His aura is repress and replace by another one that don't feel human.

I anaylize his form, taking note of the horns on his head and the wild and hungry looks in his eyes, telling me that this is the criminal Ayame was talking about. To the normal human eyes, they wouldn't be able to see these horns but like I mention before I've been seeing the unseen for almost all my life. This isn't surprising to me.

"Hey why don't you be a sweet heart and come with me. I promise you won't get hurt if you listen" He says as he wickedly grins at me.

"Why, you're just a stranger to me" I counter, taking a step back to make it look like he's got the upper hand. Like Genkai's has been teaching me, I repress my energy to match that of a regular weak human being without any spiritual awareness so he will not suspect anything.

He takes a intimidating step foward, then follow by a few more steps "aw don't be like that, I just want to talk to you"

He gets close enough to the point I can smell his putrid scent and I inwardly grimance at him. I don't like that he's this close to me but I have to play the part of a scared girl.