Chapter. 23 Becoming A Spirit Detective

I didn't feel like eating that night and I couldn't sleep, knowing that Yusuke is dead and that Shiori is battling with her illness and Shuichi worries. It's all taking a toll on me but I have to remain put together for Shuichi. He's going through so much.

I've barely been able to eat in the last few days. The feeling of my parents and Shuichi's grief as well as my own inner turmoil has been affecting me. I don't want them to worry about me. Mom and I visit Shiori later the next day. Shuichi looks at me as I give him his homework for the day with a small smile.

"Let's talk in the hallway shall we" He asks. Tentatively grabbing my hand, he lead me out into the hallway. Once we come upon an empty and secluded hall he turns around and face me. His brows furrows in worry, noting the bag under my eyes and seeing my slight weight loss.

"You haven't been properly sleeping and eating"

"I'm fi-"

"No you're not Winter" He cuts in, giving me a stern look. I look away in guilt.

"I'm sorry" I mumble, ashame."I just been so worried and stressed lately, with your Mom sick, I just feel so hopeless"

"You have nothing to apologize for. I only want you to eat and get a good night rest. Seeing you like this does not put my mind at ease. I'm concern for your well being."

"You shouldn't be. You're mother should be your only priority right now. I'll be fine"

"You're also my priority" He exclaims and grasp my hand into his. "Promise me you'll take better care of yourself Winter"

"I promise" I reply, giving in. His auraslightly lightens up with that answer.

________

It's late and I finally put some food in my stomach, though I couldn't stomach down much of my food. I'm too worried and stressed out but I made a promise to Shuichi and I'll do my part. Laying in bed my mind begins to wonder about all that is happening around me right now.

Tears fall from my eyes as I silently weep. I ignore the diamond shape gems that hardens and fall to the floor. I'll just pick them up and hide them later like I always do. Shiori is sick, my friend Yusuke is dead, Shiori is sick and Shuichi been deeply affected by her illness.

"This isn't fair, they don't deserve this" I continue to cry into my pillow.

I cry myself to sleep but unlike most nights I slept this time feels different. I can feel myself sperated from my body, like a out of body experience, I can't open my eyes and I can feel my soul transporting. Suddenly I can hear people talk about out of no where. Opening my eyes I see that I'm inside what looks to be a very big building and all around me are ogres of different unnatural skin colors, like blue, green, red, pink, yellow, and more running around. They haven't notice me yet so I proceed forward full of confusion and without any sense of direction. I stumble as I see a pretty women in a black Kimono and black hair in a low bun standing by a set of doors. She looks surprise when she sees me.

"Excuse me but who are you and where am I?" I ask with a curious look on my face.

"How is it that you're here?" She questions, surprise as her wide purple orbs gazes at me in confusion.

"I-I really don't know. All I remember is falling asleep and now I'm here"

"Well dear my name is Ayame and I am a grim reaper. You look to be sleep projecting which isn't unheard of to humans, however you being here and being able to make it this far is unique in itself. Follow me I'll lead you to my superior"

I hesitantly follow behind her while looking around this big place. Everytime a ogre would pass by they would always curiously glance at me. I would wave and they look at me in shock but wave back, albeit nervously of course. They seem rather harmless. We walk until we stand in front of a set of big doors. She walks in, ushering me to follow. In front of us is a desk and at the seat sits someone who is holding a huge piece of paper, covering their face and body.