Chapter. 28 A Losing Battle

"Next time I see Koenma I have got to ask him how to fight monsters" Yusuke says. My eyes darts and see the demon pulling a tree from the ground.

"Easy kids, you'll run away" He taunts, voice loud and gruff.

He uproots the tree from the ground and with a powerful twist of his body, he swings the branch in our direction. I push Yusuke out the way in time and took the hit, falling to the ground.

"Winter!" Yusuke shouts. My eyes slams shut in pain. I slowly get up from the ground.

"Grab the orb" I cough, noticing it roll out of his hand. He reaches out to grab it but pauses, looking at his finger.

"That's right, the spirit gun thing" He says to himself as he gets up from the ground.

The demon drops the tree and by this time I'm back on my feet. I wonder what he's doing while he looks at his finger. I ignore my throbbing side and run over to him.

"Hey it's not working, danmnit! Mr. Iwamoto screws me once again" Yusuke curses with a look of frustration on his visage

"Yusuke I don't know what you're trying to to do but shouldn't you be paying attention to the demon" I nervously remind, noticing the demon slowly approaching us.

"Do you know what the best spices for a soul are?" The tall demon asks.

"No and I don't think we want to know" I answer. He ignores me.

"Some fear and a dash of pain" He laughs as he stand in front of us, his figure casts a omnious shadow over us as he looks down at us.

"That soul you both let go was my dinner, and I'm very hungry" He says as he raises his left arm high, and swing at us. I hiss in pain as I roll on the ground from the impact and cough. I feel my bruise abdomen throb in pain.

It hurts...

"I'll just have to eat you both instead" The tall demon makes up his mind. I look and see Yusuke not that far from me and lying on the ground. He tries to get up but ends up falling back on his hands and knees. I try to get up as well but hiss from the pain. My limbs are shaking uncontrollably from over exertion.

'I can't give up now'

"Oh I forgot how fragile humans are, don't let me hit you too hard now" He mocks. I can only weakly glare at him. The rain around us is poring hard and my purple coils are sticking to my face and forehead.

"I mean I'll hate to bruise the meat" He continues with a wicked grin.

He rushes at Yusuke and I gasp in shock from seeing him get kick and roughly hit against a tree from the force of the impact.

"Yusuke!" I shout and struggle to get up only to scream from feeling a powerful kick to my back and roll on the ground. I feel a hand grab my arm and yank me from the ground. I'm face to face with the demon as he maliciously grins at me, a sadistic gleam is in his eyes as he takes in my batter form.

"Don't think I didn't forget I said I would kill you first girl"

With that statemwnt he punches me in the gut. I cough up blood and he throws me against a tree. The breathe is knock out of me from the collision and see he goes back to hurting Yusuke. My vision is once again fading in and out. My whole body hurts so much.

'No I can't let him get hurt' I think to myself as I try to move but my limbs refuses to listen. By now he's holding Yusuke by the neck, chocking him.

'I won't be able to save him, I'm so sorry Yusuke for being so useless'

Tears slips pass my eye and they turn to glittery diamonds once they hit the wet ground.