Chapter 117 - Ah Hai and Shi Ai

Ah Hai jogged towards the entrance and immediately took the first aid box and bottled water from his assistant.His assistant worriedly asked if someone was injured and needed help.Ah Hai replied with a curt,"No need.Just a few minor scratches.I'll apply some ointment and let it be.."The assistant nodded and went back inside the hotel.

Ah Hai rushed back to find the little girl waiting for him.She had a streak of mud across her cheek as if she had used her dirty hands to wipe her face.Her nose was red from crying earlier but her mouth was set in a line as if daring him to comment.

Ignoring her,Ah Hai bent down and poured some antiseptic liquid on cotton.He then took her hands and wiped them,noticing she had some minor cuts on them.She hissed in pain as the liquid burnt over the cuts but otherwise remained quiet.He then wiped her knees and applied band aids to the wounds there.Once done,he took out an antiseptic wet tissue from the box and cleaned his hands.

He then sat on the bench next to the girl and offered her some water.She took the water with trembling hands and almost dropped it.Holding the water bottle to her mouth,Ah Hai slowly helped her drink.

For a few moments,there was silence.Then a small voice whispered,"Thank You."

He looked at the girl sitting beside him timidly. Was she the same vivacious girl from this morning who had proposed to him this morning?He had heard her scream and returned.He heard the entire conversation and had been about to escape when he realized that she was looking for him,but when the boy casually talked about her dying,he stopped in his tracks.Why would she die?She did not look sick.Then she had threatened the boy even though her voice had been thick with tears.He had wanted to see her reach back to her room safely and then he would be asking the orphanage manager about her health.As he was musing this,he did not realize that he had not answered Shi Ai.

Shi Ai was even more disheartened when she realized that big brother had not answered her.She thought he was angry at her for this morning.So she moved her hand a bit and slowly tugged at his sleeves a bit while looking at him.

Feeling the tug,Ah Hai immediately turned towards the girl only to see her bend her head down again.Again in a slow voice she said,"Big Brother...I mean Sir,I am sorry for offending you this morning.."

Ah Hai's brows arched at this apology and he couldn't back himself.Again,he went on his knees to kneel down in front of her and with a finger to her chin made her look up.

"What is your name?" Shi Ai looked at this polite Ah Hai and thought that he was pitying her,so she immediately pouted and said,"I won't tell you.Why should I?"

Ah Hai looked at the silly girl and said,"How will I wait for you if I don't know your name?I have to know the name of my betrothed."

Shi Ai looked shocked but there was a big smile on her face and she said,"You are teasing me."

Ah Hai shook his head and answered,"No I am not.My name is Long AhHai. You must call be big brother Ah Hai."

"But you are prince charming..why would you wait for me?I am only a little bit pretty."

"Thank you for the compliment little beauty but you are going to become beautiful when you are older and by then I will be fat and bald so where will I get a beautiful girl?If you are betrothed to me,then I can rest assured that I will get a beautiful flower in the future and not have to worry about anything."

Shi Ai frowned at this and said,"But Big Brother,you must not grow fat and bald...otherwise how will you remain prince charming?"

Ah Hai pretended to regard her thoughtfully and said in serious tone,"So does that mean if I am not handsome anymore,you won't marry me?

"Uh huh.",little Shi Ai nodded."I'd still marry you..You have kind eyes.They won't change even if you are fat."

Ah Hai was speechless at her words and said hesitatingly,"Ok then, I guess I can do that."

"Uh huh,that won't work.You have to give me a promise."She extended her hand with her little finger extended.Ah Hai extended his hand and crossed his little finger with hers and said."I promise to wait for you to grow up and marry you,if you wish."

Shi Ai was beaming at his words.All her earlier sadness forgotten.

Ah Hai then said,"Now it is late.Let me escort you,young lady to your room."

With that Ah Hai got up from his kneeling position and extended his hand.But Shi Ai stubbornly shook her head.

Ah Hai:"..." Now what?

"You need to give me a betrothal gift."

"A betrothal gift?"

"Hmm..a gift to signify that we are promised to each other."

Ah Hai thought for a moment and saw a silver chain hanging around her neck.

"Give me your chain."

Shi Ai immediately took it off and passed it to him.the chain was long and easily ca,e over her head without opening the clasp.Ah Hai opened the clasp and taking out a plain silver ring off his index finger put it inside the chain.Closing the clasp,he slipped the chain over her head."Now you have my ring.It has my name characters and birthdate..Hmm?."

Another beaming smile was directed his way and then she gestured him to sit on the bench.He sat down next to her and she immediately got up and stood in front of him."Big Brother Ah Hai,my family name is Shi and given name is Ai .And... I saw on a TV show that when someone gets engaged they must kiss."With that she planted a kiss on Ah Hai's cheeks and ran towards the hotel before he could even react...

"Shi Ai.."He murmured the name.."Ai meant love..It seems he had just been kissed by love..