When in the Snake pit: Hogsmeade visit of '95

People are well aware that some Slytherins are outright narcissists, taking majority of their time flaunting family wealth. Wearing expensive coats, dresses, and suits to Hogsmeade when the small village wasn't really much of a sight to see that fit the clothes they wear. No other houses would be able to mock them in fear to be punished by their rich parents, but didn't really stop them from admiring how they presented themselves in all occasions.

But not all slytherins liked the fancy styles, not all of them liked flaunting their family wealth. Only a few of them lingered in the snake house, and Astoria Greengrass was one of them.

Unlike her older sister, the pretty Daphne Greengrass who was popular with the boys like her dear friend Blythe who topped being the prettiest Slytherin in their year. Astoria only ever did love the simplistic styles, sure she would flaunt the most expensive garments but not the extravagant designs. She stuck herself in the simple dresses and boots, not the glittering dresses and faux fur boas that her sister uses.

And like today, she was merely wearing one of her plaid skirts that reached her calves, a black sweater and her winter coat, her boots reaching up to where her skirt ended. Of course charmed with a warming charm which tripled the price of her clothes alone. She sat alone on a table in the three broomsticks because after the meeting at Hogshead, Blythe, Theo, and Blaise decided to tour the visiting frenchmen.

It was lonely to say the least, not having than many friends in her year, she found them rather obnoxious and not at all appealing to befriend. Taking small sips from her butter beer mug, the day was going to end with her not really enjoying herself. It was sad, and she admits to that.

"I wish I brought a book," she muttered to herself as she looked at the almost empty mug, taking it in one swing. It was after she drank it all that she heard a loud poof sound from beside her, in surprise she turned to her side and spat the contents from her mouth towards the person in front. Her eyes widened to see a blond boy now drenched in salivated butter beer.

"I'm sorry," she quickly says, grabbing her purse and praying that she brought a handkerchief or her wand. "I was startled, I didn't mean to," she says quickly, finally finding a handkerchief and turned to the boy, started to wipe his face. Her cheeks were very red, scarlet now considering how embarrassed she was.

"It's okay," the boy smiled, using his sleeve to wipe the dripping liquid from his eyes. He didn't at all sound disgusted, nor did he sound mad, it was then that Tori realised that she was standing so close to the boy that she almost staggered to walk backwards at the sight of a pair chocolate brown eyes.

"I'm sorry again," Tori muttered, handing her handkerchief to Colin who thanked as he started to wipe himself and a device he had in his hands.

"Hopefully we didn't get the inside of it drenched in butter beer," the boy joked, causing Astoria's stomach to drop. Sure she an afford to pay the damages but if it had any sentimental value, she would live the rest of her life in guilt.

Apparently her expression was obvious, the boy tapped Astoria's shoulder to catch her attention and he succeeds. "It's alright, it still works," he smiled at her, holding up the camera and snapping a picture. "I'd develop these over Christmas, why don't you smile so I can owl it to you when I have them," he urges Astoria.

What would she do? She can't smile, she wasn't that thick faced after almost ruining a camera.

"Hey! I think I saw a unicorn run by that window over there!" The boy tells her, distracting her a brief second that she turns towards the windows, eager to see the said creature but nothing except another poofing sound.

"There we go," the blond smiles, letting the camera fall by the strap around his neck. "You have a really pretty smile."

"Thanks," Astoria replied a bit unsure. She didn't know this boy too well, nor did he look like someone from her house.

"Colin by the way, a Gryffindor," he introduced himself, pulling out his hand for her to shake. She doesn't really hesitate this time, but was still embarrassed, "Astoria—"

"Greengrass," Colin grinned, "I know, people from Hufflepuff rather like you for helping them grow plants that never grow in Scotland."

"Should be flattered?" She asked, unsure what to react. But she was flattered even if he didn't mean to, she did spend most of her time with Hufflepuffs rather than her house.

"If you want to be, take it as you will," Colin smiled, glancing at the empty table behind her. "Say do you have anywhere else to go?"

"Not really," she shook her head, remembering how her friends flaked on her. "I'm waiting until the carriages get back—"

"So you don't mind coming with me to an apothecary? I need to check some plants for potions and the Hufflepuffs told me that you were the one I should ask for help."

"I don't think—"

"It won't be long," Colin pled, a tone which Tori found herself in a position that she couldn't refuse. "Fine then," she tells him, turning pink once more when the boy, Colin grabbed her hand in excitement as they ran out the three broomsticks.

"You seem happy," Daphne pointed out at her sister the moment the young girl walked in the common room entrance. She looked like the normal Astoria, but the glow she had was far different from what she left in. "I hope you met someone cute," Daphne tells her younger sister.

Tori didn't reply, just stood by the couch in a deep sigh, almost as if she was delighted. "You did, didn't you?" Daphne grinned, standing up from her seat and grabbing hold of Astoria's hands, they were warm, very very warm.

"Who? Who did you meet? What did he look like? Is he cute? Is he from Slytherin?"

"He's a really cute boy," Astoria sighs. "Blond hair, brown eyes," she listed.

"He has a nice smile, a nice laugh. Daphne, she's just perfect," she tells her sister, embracing her, she was on cloud nine.

"Is he a Slytherin?" Daphne asked curiously, she never really saw someone with blond hair except for her and Draco and a few others but those others were either first years or graduating years, and she knows that the seventh years didn't really like three broomsticks nor Hogsmeade and just end up in their dorms or the library.

"No," Tori replied, "Why does it matter?" She asked her sister a little worried.

"Nothing," Daphne softly smiles, knowing that it was enough to just see her sister smile, she wouldn't care much at all if he was from a different house or if he was a muggle born. "Let me meet him, okay?"

"I will," Astoria smiles back at her older sister, hugging her again before kissing Daphne's cheek good night.

'You have a really pretty smile' she remembers Colin's words to her, causing her smile to grow even wider.

"Damn Gryffindors," she muttered to herself, admitting how charmed she was by the blond lion.