Book 1: Chapter 4

The young first years waited at the entrance hall just as the woman who introduces her self to be Professor McGonagall, ordered them to stay as she prepped for the sorting ceremony in the grand hall. She was gone for a few minutes now that the platinum blond boy that Finley spotted on the train earlier came up the stairs and started picking on Ron.

"I know you, Red head, Hand me down robes. You're a Weasley," he said. Poor Ron was red with the insult this blond boy was describing his family in a few simple words, before he could even utter an insult back. A young girl, Finley, pushed the blond boy ever so slightly to get his attention.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't stomach absolute rudeness and rubbish before dinner," she snidely remarked as she stepped up the steps to be in front. The blond boy was flustered with the unexpected disturbance from the girl that we was going to yell at her too before ghosts came running in.

Some ghosts such as nearly headless Nick was delighted to see new faces in the crowd of first years.

One particular ghost locked his gaze at Finley then went on his way as Professor McGonagall came in. "Single file stundents, please get in line."

As students came lining up, she was behind a girl named Padma and in front of a boy named Seameus. Both looking nervous for what is to come when they enter the large doors to the great hall, she can't lie that she doesn't feel the same.

As they entered the great hall, amazed looks plastered in the faces as they saw candles floating and the ceiling filled with stars. Finley saw four tables filled with students and a table in front that was occupied with teachers. A stool was placed in front of the hall for everyone to see.

On top of the stool was an old hat, Finley notices a grumpy face on the hat. The hat spoke a poem to others it sang, but to Finley it sounded like an old man telling a story to his grandchildren.

'Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself  if you can find A smarter  hat  than  me.
You  can keep your  bowlers black,
Your top hats  sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap  them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me  on  and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at  heart,
Their daring,  nerve and  chivalry Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff
Where they  are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid  of toil;
Or yet in  wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of  wit and learning,
Will always find their  kind;
Or perhaps in  Slytherin You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk  use  any means To  achieve their ends.
So put me  on! 
Don't be afraid!
And don't get  in a flap!
You're  in safe  hands (though I have  none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!'

Truthfully, Finley thinks that it was catchy as the old sorting hat sung. She was observing the whole thing some more until her gaze caught her guardian Severus Snape, she was excited to attend his classes, and hope she would be sorted to his house. She admires Severus enough to want to be in Slytherin.

"So we just have to try on a hat?" she heard Ron say. Flabbergasted that his brothers made him a fool thinking that they were actually doing a test. Not that she would blame him, she thought that too especially with the amount of studying she'd done the night before about spells and such.

Hermione was a chanting mess, trying not to freak out as Professor McGonagall started calling names. Finley grabbed her dear friend's cold hand making Hermione look at her. "It will be alright Mione, you'll be in your rightful house,"she assured the anxious witch with a smile.

Neville Longbottom was another story, she was shivering but was farther in the front than she could reach. She silently prayed for his well being.

The sorting started with a girl named Abbot, Hannah who was sorted to Hufflepuff. Followed by Susan, Terry, Mandy and a girl named Lavender Brown who first joined Gryffindor. Then it was the moment that she was waiting for, finally her friend Hermione was to be sorted next.

She patted Hermione's shoulder for support as the witch gave her a tight smile. "Okay Hermione, you can do this. Don't panic," Hermione chanted to herself.

In the end she was sorted to Gryffindor much to Ron's dismay, he was groaning that she was in the house same with his brothers and possibly him. The whole sorting no one noticed the observing eyes of a potion Professor towards a young boy and girl. The boy felt the staring while the girl was clueless, she was anticipating her turn to be sorted.

"Ronald Weasley," Professor McGonagall announced, the now pale Weasley went up the stool and sat. The hat was placed on his head, the sorting hat complained for another Weasley before placing him in Gryffindor.

The young girl sighed in relief that the Weasley's weren't separated at all this year, now she was anxious for her own behind.

The sorting went on and Harry was sorted to Gryffindor as well, the blond boy who insulted Ron before who she came to learn was Draco Malfoy was placed in Slytherin. She could swear that Draco was smug about being in the snake house.

"Sage Finley Evans."

She was last to her relief she thought that she wasn't on the list for some reason. She went up the stairs towards the stool, she now felt all eyes on her even from Severus her guardian who was just a few feet from her. She sat down the stool.

"Hm, another difficult one. Unlike that other one you desire to be in the house of Salazar, I see great things in you in which ever house."

It paused.

Was it not going to put her in a house?

Was she going to get kicked out?

The sorting hat hummed.

Why would it be humming now? What was her house?

"Slytherin!"

She gasped, the Slytherin table cheered as the newest member jumped for joy as she made her way towards her new house. All said congratulations and welcomes, she sat next to the blond Draco.

She eventually tried to ignore the blond boy as she interacted politely with some students from her year and above, she tried her best in being as polite as possible.

After the headmaster uttered a few words and warning of not going to the forbidden forest and the third floor in the west wing. The whole school started eating, from pumpkin soups and roasted pigs she went on and ate as much as she pleased. She laughed with the other Slytherins and enjoyed her evening.

Soon after, the prefects escorted the first years to their common rooms. Finley looked around looking for their Head of House who was no where to be found.

"Passwords are posted on the bulletin the common room, girls' dorms on the right, boys on the left. No first years are allowed to be outside after hours or else no one will find you nor let you in the common room unless a prefect or the house head let you inside." The Slytherin prefect said.

The crowd of first years separated into their dorms, to Finley's dismay she was alone in her dorm. Maybe it was intentional and it pleased her to have the dorm to herself, Severus must've known that she wanted a room to herself.

The room was smaller than the room she had at Cokeworth and she was fine with that. Cassian was already fussing in his cage, she let him out letting him cuddle with her. She changed out of her robes and into her pyjamas, then laid on the bed with a book of potions on her lap.

She was very excited for the first official day of classes, and she was determined to make Severus proud of her.