Book 1: Chapter 14

"Can I have a bottle of dreamless sleep potion?" She requested Snape at potions class after a week of not being able to sleep. The professor looked at her as if she was daft but knew better than to question it, the words around the Slytherin common room of the young witch crying in the middle of the night was frequent. He never bothered to ask what happened in the forbidden forest, he had Minerva tell her what happened and Pomfrey to ask. Taking out a vial of the potion from his cabinet and handed it to her, reminding her to only take it when she needs to, the girl left the Head of House's office. The vial in her pocket, she proceeded to her classes.

Blaise and Theo in her case of not being her fiery sarcastic Slytherin self, they wanted to know what happened in detention from her until Malfoy told them. Even with intentions pure, the Slytherin prince was still hexed for it from the girl.

Finley avoided her friends as much as she wished wasn't necessary, from her lack of sleep she hated to snap and cry from pesky nightmares. It was then lunch, they had a free period after that her friends and Draco cornered her in the great hall.

"What is your problem," Blaise began, fed up on how suddenly distant his best friend was.

"What are you talking about?" Finley found herself asking. She wasn't daft, she knew that this was an intervention, one that she tried to avoid for a week now. She stood up but Draco and Theo had her shoulder to sit her back down on the Slytherin bench.

"Will you stop avoiding us," Blaise snapped, completely fed up with how she was avoiding them. It was sad that she wasn't able to trust them as they trust her after months of their existing friendship, and she knew that.

"We're suppose to be your best friends Finley, you can tell us anything and we won't ever judge you. Do you have any idea how much strength needed to restrain Blaise and I from barging in your room while you were crying?" Theo told her. It was that bad that Crabbe and Goyle had to pin them to the ground by Draco's orders. To this day Draco can't erase the rage from the flawless male Zabini who was always known for his charming smiles and Theodore Nott who always was laughing happily over such little things. It was all for Finley Evans that they became such horrors that Slytherins never thought of seeing in the two of the most charming purebloods in the house.

Finally sitting down and looking straight into Finley did the boys calm down, they didn't want to draw attention, they only wanted to talk to her.

"We know something bad happened in detention," Blaise calmly said filtering his words from prying ears, naming Parkinson.

"You can tell us Finley, we wont judge you—"

"I'm sorry."

The girl was in tears, guilty of not trusting her friends enough, having them worried sick for her. She wrapped her two friends in a tight hug and kept on crying, a week of not speaking to them and the nightmares took the toll on her.

The three boys who wanted the intervention cut it short, the girl was crying and it would be very bad for them especially if the head of house was her legal guardian. "I missed you two," she whispered in her shaking tone.

"We missed you too Finney," Theo found himself saying hugging her closer.

Draco watched as the three slytherin friends were reuniting after a week of not speaking and avoiding. Almost walking away back to the comfort of two of his large friends and the discomfort of an insufferable girl.

The day went on, he hexed Hufflepuffs extra this time around with Crabbe and Goyle. He insulted Potter and his friends at least four times in every encounter, he found himself avoiding the mudblood Granger, convincing himself that Finley would find out one way or another.

"Drakie! Do you like my gift?" Pansy asked giggling— no cackling even, she was like a wart that keeps coming back. He winced at the thought of the gift that the girl gave him, it was a picture of her with an excuse of a smile. He wanted to ask Crabbe to destroy it as soon as possible.

"Drakie—"

"Draco," he looked towards the common room door and found Finley clutching a book in her hand. Her usual braided hair in a messy bun with a ribbon, he didn't know why but she still looked pretty. Shaking his thoughts, he approached her leaving the calling pug. He followed her to an empty hallway of the castle dungeons, not far from the common room entrance.

"What is it that you want Evans," he asked having his facade on. He watched as her eyes avoided his, opening her mouth and closing it shortly, she looked like a fish out of water.

"Finley," the girl froze, her name in his mouth felt weird at how he was calling her by the last name.

"I wanted to say thank you."

"What for?" He asked. He never expected a thank you from her, never in his mind had it passed in his thoughts that she would ask him to follow her just to say thank you.

"For making sure that I was okay, and helping my friends corner me," she said the last bit she whispered to herself. If you told Finley Evans that she was soon going to be thanking the boy who thought himself as a pureblooded snake king who bullies her Gryffindor friends and was a constant prat to anyone in the castle for saving her life and her friendships, she would've laughed and hexed you til next school year. But then here she was, in front of him clutching on a book, thanking him and for the first time since school started, was nervous for what the other would say.

"Well if something happened to you Snape would give me hell for it, and as for your friends, they're prats when they don't get to talk to you," he grinned. Finley laughed softly, it was true that the Head of House would go out of his way and curse anyone if something was to happen to her, and she knew very well on how much of a prat her best friends were. And hell will surely be out for Draco if anything fid happen to her under his watch, but it doesn't erase the fact that he was bullying her Gryffindor friends.

"Look if that's all you have to say to me, I'll be going now," Draco began as he turned to leave.

"We aren't friends Malfoy," those words somehow stung him.

"You aren't the best person in the world, you bully my Gryffindor friends, even went your way and call my best friend Hermione a horrid name," words she said were punches to the gut, he does sound terrible, worst if he thought about seeing himself. He wasn't nice, he was taught to act as he is, up holding the Malfoy name was everything to him. But hearing this girl list some of the horrible things that he has done made him want to run in shame.

"We aren't friends Malfoy—"

"You said that, are you done now?"

"We aren't friends, but you're actually not half bad, without you being a complete twat and all," she finally finished as she handed him the book that she was holding on to and left.

He watched the retreating figure and sighed, she surprises him to the point of it being scary, months of her distasteful spats with him, he found himself suddenly admiring the girl for how she wasn't putting up with him. Most girls their age would go their way and befriend him because he was The Draco Malfoy, families would push their sons and daughters to be friends with him. But with her, he feels like a sad boy who doesn't have real friends.

He looked at the book that she gave him and chuckled, a soft cover bound book that had golden letters written on the cover. An inside joke maybe, it was amusing that she managed to get him a muggle book, wonders on how in bloody hell she smuggled it in the school.

"How to Make Friends for Dummies."