Book 4: Chapter 9

It was the evening everyone's been waiting for, and this evening Finley didn't stand beside her brother nor her friends. She stood beside her school, it was time to choose for the champions. Finley held onto young Gabrielle Delacour's hand and who was nervous beyond her wits for her dear older sister Fleur. Finding out that Fleur was scolded for entering such a dangerous contest, their parents were upset with them but it surely didn't stop the older girl to drop her name in.

"Will my sister be okay?" Gabrielle asked Finley in french, she only ever did trust Finley and Heart and never their veela cousins to comfort her. That was how much she liked Finley, she preferred her than her own cousins and for that Finley was honoured.

"Fleur is strong, she'll be fine," she assured as they all watched as the plates and the left over food disappeared from the table. She could see the people she knew drop their name in grow anxious as time passed.

"Do you think my stupid cousin dropped his name in?" Heart asked from across her and Gabrielle who was glaring at Sebastian's back from across the hall who sat next to Krum.

"He's fifteen, and did you hear what happened to the Weasley twins when they tried to trick the cup?" Finley pointed out to her friend, she would be extremely upset if Sebastian would enter without her knowing, she voiced her opinions about the contest to him the most after all. She turned to where her Slytherin friends sat, she nodded towards Blaise and Theo, and cracked a small smile at Draco who looked uncomfortable with Pansy clutch onto him like a leech.

"If it helps you get your mind of it, we're going to Hogsmaede after this," she heard Heart say in french, she was saying this to Gabrielle who seemed to be even more anxious than her sister who sat next to them chatting with her friends.

"Gabrielle, I'll be okay," Fleur tell her sister before kissing her hair, she looked up at Finley and Heart and smiled at them giving them a subtle thank you for comforting her sister.

The blue flames on the selection cup grew red and it caught everyone's attention, Dumbledore being the headmaster of the hosting school went up and retrieved the parchment that was half burnt. Everyone in the great hall was silent, if you dropped a pin you would hear it echo in the hall.

"The Durmstrang champion, Viktor Krum," a roar of applause was heard, everyone expected that. Finley could hear Ron cheering the loudest, she turned towards where the Durmstrang students sat and she saw Sebastian shake hands with Viktor Krum before allowing him to get up and shake hands with the headmaster before disappearing from the hall.

The flames grew bright again, everyone fell dead silent again, out came a circular parchment and Finley somehow knew it was from Beauxbatons. "The Beauxbatons champion, Fleur Delacour!"

Cheers from the french school echoed in the halls, Fleur embraced her little sister before walking up towards the Hogwarts headmaster, shaking his hand, and like Viktor she also disappeared from the great hall. Finley and Heart shook their heads as they saw the girls who weren't selected cry on their seats, they should be thankful that they were spared from instant death.

The last champion was to be announced, the Hogwarts champion and Finley anticipated for this. She bit her lip, she would be happy for whoever got selected, she was surely going to pray for whoever's chosen for his or her safety during this whole tournament. The flames erupted again, and a parchment was caught once more.

"The Hogwarts Champion, Cedric Diggory!" The whole Hufflepuff table erupted in the loudest cheer heard tonight. Cedric smiling brightly as he was embraced by his friends before walking up towards Dumbledore who congratulated him whole heartedly before he too disappeared out the hall like the first two.