Book 3: Chapter 13

This must be one of the most nerve wrecking thing that Finley has ever done in her life, she stood just outside Snape's office hesitating on knocking. She raised her fist and she still couldn't bring herself to knock. What was she doing here? Well she wanted to ask about her parents, Hermione's question got her thinking, the gears in her brain turned and it was another thing in the list that kept her awake at night.

Should she knock?

Should she ask?

What was wrong with her?

It would be odd to just randomly ask Snape about her parents, not that she asked him before but it would be suspicious if she asked him out of the blue. But then again it made her curious out of her mind and it was frustrating her.

She knocked.

"Come in," a muffled sound said, she opened the door and there the professor sat behind his desk, rolls of parchment on the table, vials on the side, a black board of next week's homework was due. In short, it was the usual Snape office scenery that Finley had gotten used to.

"What do I owe the pleasure of you seeing me today miss Evans?" The professor asked not looking up at Finley who slowly made her way to the seat near the desk.

"I was wondering if I could ask you something," she cautiously said, if she spoke one wrong word she would be caught talking with the Golden trio and she didn't want to be found out soon, she has been hiding it so well too.

"What is it?"

Finley gulped, then proceeded to mumble hoping the gibberish words she spoke was still audible for him to decipher, but no, Snape didn't have time for the dilly dally.

"Speak clearly Evans, I don't have all the time in the world," Snape snaps.

Finley bit her lip nervously, she anticipates for the worst but hopefully she was still getting herself an answer. "May I ask you who my parents are?"

A snap was heard, the quill was snapped in half, ink was all over the professor's hands, this fuelled Finley's anxiety. "Why do you want to acquire such knowledge?"

"I only wonder Professor, I only thought that maybe you were friends with them that's why you agreed to raise me—"

"I see no benefit for you to learn such trivial things." This certainly did not sit well with Finley because why would she not want to know her parents? She has the right to know who they were right?

"But Professor, I just want to know who they are and what they're like. I—"

"Leave," Snape snapped once again, this time his face was stern and some what angry.

"Why?"

"Because I refuse to answer such nonsense questions of yours," he spoke, but Finley wanted to know why.

"It isn't nonsense, I just want to learn about my parents." Finley's brows furrowed getting herself agitated over the Professor's reactions. It felt to her that he knew more of her parents than she thought he did and it was making her angry at how he was the one dilly dallying.

"I don't see the benefit of informing you who your parents are."

"Well I do because they're my parents," she snaps, fed up with the stubbornness the Professor was displaying over one simple question of hers.

The conversation was hanging on a loose thread, Snape not wanting to talk and Finley refusing to let it go. What lead the question in Finley's thoughts was a mystery to Snape and he had a hunch on who fed it but he wasn't going in to accusing just yet.