5. Kol's Home

Pairing: Klaus/Jeremy-Erik (M/mm) hand

Keelin/Kai (F/m) hairbrush

Mystic Falls, Virginia

Mikaelson Mansion

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dinner time

Dinner was a hectic affair as always. Without Kol, there were 22 family members around the table at once. They had to have a custom made table built and it was still tight. The kids were warned not to deliberately slam into each other, but there were plenty of spilled drinks and arguments over space. There was so talk about having two dinner shifts, but the adults all agreed it was important to eat together every night when possible. The kids all had different days to help serve the food and clear the table, but an adult was always in charge due to the hot dishes and sharp utensils.

Elijah had increased his repertoire of recipes include more child friendly meals. Keelin had sat down with him and talked to him about children's palates, not being developed fully. Since their taste buds weren't fully formed, they didn't always like all the foods adults did. They started to try to let the kids pick out new fruits and vegetables at the store, help them cook, and expose them to new foods, but not food them to eat them. On the flip side, Elijah stood up and said he would still cook his more elegant meals, but offer a kid friendly choice. There were enough people that nothing much really went to waste and cooking two meals was an reasonable option aside from doubling or tripling the recipe. Rachael was still a vegan, although she was a vampire, so they always tried to have a meatless option. Tonight they were having veggie wraps and fajitas with all the sides. Elijah and Vanessa had made flour tortillas, guacamole, pico de gallo, and salsa. They grilled peppers, added onions, and shredded all the cheeses themselves. The skirt steak was sliced think and Elijah cooked it medium rare, though the vampires and wolves preferred their meats rare.

"Whoa, this looks awesome!" Matt said. Even with the pang of soreness in his rear, Matt was starving.

Klaus had made a point to collect all the boys' phones and cut off wi-fi to their room before he left their room. Some of them knew that they were getting it again at bedtime, but those spankings were never very severe, nor were they meant to be. They were just reminders to behave better.

Keelin cut up Joey's meat and asked Jo to fix a plate for Liv. Freya sat across from them and fed Rosie. Keelin leaned forward and caught Kai's eye.

"I heard you got into some trouble today, young man," Keelin said lightly, still cutting.

"Mama," Kai said, wincing as she gave him a sharp look. "Yeah, so Uncle Klaus is taking care of it."

"So I heard. Maybe you need your mama's attention tonight?" Keelin warned. Keelin was tired, she had put in a full day in the clinic, but she wanted to nip Kai's behavior in the bud. Klaus had shared some of the things he heard Kai saying and how he had not been completely honest in his notebook assignment. Due to Kai's traumatic past of being locked up by his own family, they gave him a lot of leeway, but there were limits.

"No, I'm already getting it again. Please, Mama," Kai begged.

"I'll meet you in Kol's room around 9:30 pm. I love you, Malachi, but I do not like the way you have been acting, neither does Mom," Keelin said, directing her gaze at Freya.

Freya smiled, her blond hair was on the top of her head in a messy bun. "Honey, don't get Mama a hard time. Kai, go ahead and eat."

Kai pouted, "I lost my appetite!" He got up to go.

Keelin smiled tightly, "Kai, sit down. You were not excused."

Kai noticed Jo and Connor watching, but really just wanted to be alone. Freya looked over pleadingly.