Chapter Twelve

Adira

I'm not sure how long we've been driving, or where we're going. The silence that's surrounded us has given me the time I needed to figure things out in my head. As best as I can atleast.

I already knew my dad wasn't my real dad; thanks to Evan. Hearing I was a pawn in a game I had no clue about was a revelation on its own. All I wanted to know now was why. Why did the man who raised me want to hurt my mother?

Why did he want to hurt me? I thought he had loved me.

Pulling my feet up into my seat I lean my head against the window. I guess I should stop calling him dad. The second the thought crosses my mind I slap it down though. It feels disrespectful. He raised me, he fed and clothed me.

And after everything that happened earlier I still loved him. It sounded stupid even to me. Tala grunting in my head. She had no good feelings towards dad anymore. The longer I thought about him the angrier she got.

He'd tried to attack us, kill us. Yet even though I was there and heard him say it.. I couldn't wrap my head around it. The man who rubbed my back after nightmares, the man who taught me how to tie my shoes and ride a bike. He wanted to hurt me, and I didn't understand.

Despite everything I feel like I owe him some sort of respect for that. It wouldn't be right to call him by his name. It wouldn't feel right.

Hopefully eventually I'll get used to the idea. I can't call him dad forever. Not after what he said. Admitting he wanted to hurt my mother was one thing. Killing me to do so, I don't know how I could move on from that.

Wiping away the stray tears I cross my legs in my seat. Clearing my throat and look over at Evan. "How do we get there? It's not like we can fly, I don't have a passport."

Evan's eyes glance at me before turning back to the road. "You won't need one. Dad's pilot won't ask any questions."

"You're parents own a plane?" I choke. Eyes wide and mouth gaping.

"Just a Cessna, they use it for work. They travel alot for their more elite clients." He shrugs, as if it's no big deal.

Chuckling I shake my head. "What exactly do they do?"

"I don't know, public relations mostly." He frowns at me, as if wondering why it matters.

Biting my lip I look back out my window. Deciding that topic is over. "What about when we land? We won't have a car. Can it take us that far?"

Evan doesn't answer right away. Instead he grabs his phone from the cupholder between us. Sending out a text I can't read from the angle he's holding it. The second his phone buzzes my heart jumps in my chest.

Looking down at the screen for a moment he nods to himself. Tossing the phone into the cupholder again. "We'll have to make two stops but we can fly there. It will add a day or two. The pilot will need to rest, but it will get us there faster than driving once we land on the other side of the Atlantic."

Chewing my lip I lean back into my seat. Great, two days isn't that long. Now all I've got to do is come up with what to say.

_______________