Chapter Thirteen

Evan 

Staring at Adira I don't know how she's not still crying. She's stronger than she looks, mentally at least. I hope she's physically stronger as well. She'll need to be if her dad catches us.

I haven't told her that her father's definitely following us. Althea has been sending me texts with updates. When we landed my phone buzzed about twenty times with different locations. The man was on our trail and I was worried.

Massaging her feet she lays back on the couch. Her eyes closed and her breathing even, she's asleep, but I don't stop. On the plane she'd tossed and turned. I was worried she'd fall off the couch, so I'd sat on the floor beside her. Rubbing her back seemed to help.

Now while I rubbed her feet she seemed just as still. Whatever haunted her in her dreams gone again.

My phone buzzed on the table and my screen lit up with a text. Leaning forward I grabbed it.

He just landed there.

Althea text.

Thanks. We're safe for now. He won't get us here.

I send a text back.

Be careful.

She texts back right away.

Adira whimpering steals my attention and I lock my phone and drop it beside me, resuming the foot massage. Looking over at her I spot a single tear falling from her eyes.

My feel for her. We were so similar yet where I had parents who loved me, she didn't, not truely. The man deserved more than death for what he's doing to her.

The look on her face when I pulled up her street and she ran out of her house, it was like ice cold water had hit me. Fear and sadness laced together in a way I'd never seen before. She had been scared for her life.

I'm just glad I'd gotten there when I had. Adira might not be my mate but I felt protective of her. She was like me. The only other person I've met like me. She thinks I'm helping her but in reality she saved me.

I was ready to give up. Ready to settle for a human life, a human love. Now I had hope. Hope I might find my mate. Hope because I wasn't alone anymore. Even if I didn't find my mate at least I had someone to talk to. Someone who was like me.

I didn't feel like a freak anymore.

Adira cried out again and I lifted her feet off of my lap. Sliding into the floor and wiping the salty liquid from her cheeks. "Shhh, it's okay." I whisper. "Adira, you're safe. You're okay."

Tossing around, I grab onto her arms. "Adira."

Her eyes pop open and she gasps loud. Worried I scared her I let go of her arms and hold my hands up for her to see. "You were crying I was just trying to make sure you were okay."

Pushing me back she sat up and slid off the couch and around me. Pacing on the other side of the coffee table she shook out her hands. "What's going on?" I ask.

"He.. It's nothing. I just need to.. sorry I freaked you out." She halts, looking down at me.

Holding out my arms she walks towards me, and I grab onto her pulling her into my arms. I'm about to speak when there's a knock at the door.