Chapter Thirty-Nine

Adira

"Mom's freaking out." Xale sighs. Falling back onto the motel mattress. Dust flying up into the air.

I kick off the runners we bought as soon as we got to town. Blisters having already formed on my heels. I plop myself down onto the floor, rubbing at my cut up soles. The rocks and pavement having destroyed my feet. "I'm freaking out." I murmur.

Pushing himself up on his elbows he frowns down at me. "What happened, Adira? Why is everyone losing their shit? Noal's never linked me and he won't stop screaming at me. He wants to know where you are. Where I am."

Groaning, I push myself off of the floor and cross the room. Stepping into the small bathroom. Turning on the tub and sitting on the edge of it. I run cold water over my feet. "Just block him out."

I can hear Xale walking into the bathroom behind me. Then the toilet seat lid shutting, Xale sitting down on it. "And Mom and Dad, Evan, Owen, Phillip. What, I just block all them out too? What happened, Adira? Whatever it is I'm sure we can fix it. Did Dad do something? Did he go at Noal again? Did Noal hurt you? Why is he linking me and not you?"

"I blocked him out before we even left the pack land. I blocked them all out." I wiggle my toes, the blisters and cuts healing. Thank the Goddess for wolf powers.

It wasn't the full truth, I haven't blocked out Evan. I didn't respond but I couldn't block him out. I didn't understand why he'd gone along with planning an attack on the pack like that. I wanted to know why. I was holding onto hope he'd let it slip and tell me. Why he'd been apart of it or what they were planning. I couldn't believe he'd be apart of something so malicious, so cruel.

"Adira we've got to go back. They're worried he might find us. I can't protect you alone."

"I told you to stay. I didn't ask you to come." I shut off the water. Swaying around and shrugging my shoulders at him. "I'm not going back, not unless they swear on their lives they won't attack anyone who isn't involved. That nobody dies. This is about me, not them. I don't want anyone dying for or because of me."

Xale takes a deep breath and lowers his head. Silence consuming the grungy motel room. I could almost hear the mold grow. The bugs moving around in the shadows. Looking back up at me Xale nods his head. "They won't hurt anyone who's not involved."

"They won't do anything to the pack?" I raise a brow, doubting him.

"Not if they aren't involved. Alpha Anderson comes, his son too, anyone else who comes, they have to be taken care of." Xale leans forward.

Squinting my eyes at him I chew my bottom lip. "And nobody dies."

Sighing Xale sits up straight. "Not unless they have to. If they don't surrender we can't let them hurt the pack or anyone in the family."

Unblocking Daniel I link him. "Swear on Ally you'll do everything you can before killing anyone."

"I swear on everything I love I will not kill anyone unless it's the only option." Daniel links back. "Come back Adira. Link your mother. She needs you."

Snorting, I block him again. Ally doesn't need anyone.

"Can we call a cab? Those shoes are terrible."