Chapter Forty-Three

Evan

Adira stood by the door silent after her admission staring at her feet. Noal quiet as well as he glanced back and forth from her and I. Confusion and shock written on his face. I sat up straighter as I watched them both.

Unsure about what I should say or do. However, now that the truth was out my wolf was pushing for me to pounce. He wanted me to mark her. Now that Noal knew there wasn't a good enough reason in his eyes to wait any longer. I couldn't do that to her though.

I felt equal parts elation and guilt over feeling our bond. Adira was perfection. Love and strength wrapped in an impossibly beautiful delicate package. From the moment I'd seen her I knew she was powerful. Since then all she's done has proven as much.

The way she can enjoy the moment while her life is in danger, the way she laughs so easily. It showed the kind of person she was. The kind of person I wished I could be. Having her as a mate, well that would be the closest I would ever get.

It was almost laughable, really it was. A hilarious trick played by the Goddess. Blind us from the bond and have me fall for her anyways. An undeniable pull to help her find the truth. It made sense now. My wolf had never worried about her. Me, my human side, I'd feared for my sister. Yet my wolf always felt comfortable around her. Never questioning the kind of person she was. He'd simply felt at home with her, peaceful and content. And I'd chalked it up to his not feeling alone anymore. Maybe it was him feeling the bond all along. I know I'd felt something. From the moment she had cried in front of me I knew I never wanted to see her cry again.

I was always sort of compassionate. Not to strangers but the people that surrounded me, I'd always wanted to make them smile. With Adira it was different. I'd cursed myself for confronting her the way I had everyday since. Every time I upset her I'd had a gnawing sensation in my stomach. An innate need to make her happy again. I never wanted to lose her. It all made sense now.

Not that I wouldn't have helped her before. The extent I was willing to though, to die for her, that's what made sense.

Noal's eyes turning to me longer than the past glances catches my attention. Raising a brow he frowns at me before turning somber. "Its to late for her to reject me for you."

"The thought never crossed my mind. I'd never ask her to."

"But you want her to now." He scowls at me.

"I never said that, and I never will." I furrowed my brows.

How could he think that? I tried to help him with Adira. I never got in the way. I'd only ever made it clear he had to wait until she wanted him, and when she did I let him do whatever she allowed. Even after I'd felt the bond I had told her to drop her wall when she blocked him out. I was the one who told her to invite him back into her room.

Huffing Noal turns his attention to Adira. "And what do you want, Mo Mhuirnín?"

Chewing her bottom lip she looks up from the floor. Something she's always done. Something I've seen so many times. All of a sudden drives me wild. My fingers itch to touch it. To pull the full soft lip free and kiss her.

Sliding from the bed I step towards her and Adira's eyes widen, surprised by my movement. She holds up her hand and halts me, like she's worried I might come to close. My wolf whimpers at the thought, that our mate doesn't want us near.