Chapter Seventy Seven

Evan

Laying in bed staring at the ceiling, I try to push through to Adira. She's got us all blocked. She won't speak to any of us. It's been weeks. I don't know what happened, but she's gone.

Luna Margaret won't let anyone go there. Adira doesn't want to speak to us. The girls came back, and Adira ran right past them. The girls tried stopping her but couldn't. Once she crossed the border, Kay and Elyse wouldn't let the girls go back to talk to her. They won't even pass along letters from us. Adira refuses to speak to us.

Noal's snoring gets louder, and I yank my pillow out from under my head and smack him in the face with it. "Shut the fuck up if you're going to keep sleeping in here."

Groaning, Noal tosses the blankets off of himself. Swinging his feet over the edge of the bed, he sits up and rubs his palms up and down his face. "She's my mate too. Unless she rejects me, I'm staying right here. You can sleep in another room if you'd like. I'm good where I am."

"Has she linked you?" Turning my head, I stare at his back.

He saw her last, and he spoke to her. If she was going to speak to any of us, I think it would be him. They have something different between them than I've got with her. She's relaxed, bold, and beautifully submissive. She goes to him for release, to just be herself and vulnerable. I'm just the one she talks to about him. I'm the understanding one, and I wasn't that for her before the bond was broken. She's probably doubting us. Who knows, maybe she's already decided Noal and I aren't worth returning to. Neither of us has been perfect. Noal threatened to break her legs, I made her feel like I'd have rejected her if I could go back. Why would she want to come back to us, we didn't deserve her.

For all I know, her leaving was her way of telling me she's done. She's too compassionate. She wouldn't want to hurt us. Who knows, maybe she left, hoping we'd give up and reject her first. I didn't want to do it, but the longer we waited, the less likely it seemed she'd come back. Least of all, come back to be with Noal and I.

Looking at me over his shoulder, Noal sighs. "If she did, you'd know."

Walking into the bathroom, Noal slams the door, and I can hear him lock it.

Yawning, I force myself out of bed. Adira's scent long gone from the room. Noal tried to stop them from cleaning, from changing the sheets, but May refused. Daniel and Ally thought it was best the pack and family continued like normal. They're hopeful. They don't want to admit to themselves. Adira might not come back. Instead, they are in denial.

Fixing the waistband of my shorts, I pick up my t-shirt from my bedside table. Putting it on, I cross the room and head downstairs. The sun is just starting to rise as I step outside. Dawn caresses the earth and my feet plant in the soil. Grass between my toes, I stretch out my arms.

The two gaurds standing behind me whispering to each other, debating how long its been since Adira left and how long they thought it would take before she returned. How sad Noal and I looked, how they pitied us.

"Link each other if you're going to talk behind my back. You know I can hear you." I grumble, jogging towards the training area.

Warren up ahead, I groan. He's always there, close by, lurking in the shadows. Sofia let it slip to Owen they're scared I might lose it. They're worried about me, and it makes me want to laugh. Why worry now when they didn't worry about me when I was a child? I'm grown, my parents raised me, and they raised me right. I wasn't going to snap. I just needed space and for everyone to stop bringing Adira up.