Chapter Sixty-Six

Adira 

Shutting Daniel's office door behind me I take a deep breath, smelling for Evan. His scent lingers down here but it's not fresh, he must still be upstairs. Was he waiting for me or avoiding me?

Letting the tips of my fingers drag along the back of the couch I move towards the kitchen. Glancing up the stairs as I pass them, pinching the fabric of Noal's shirt between my fingers. Rubbing the fabric together in my hand as I cross the dinningroom. My bare feet slapping the cool tiled floor of the kitchen as I snoop for Daniel's cookies.

Grinning ear to ear I find them in the same cupboard Evan had showed me before. Climbing up onto the countertop I pick up a clear Tupperware filled with the delicious baked goods. The smell of them already making me drool. I can't help but do a little dance as I put them on the counter, then jump down.

Opening up the stashed cookies I tuck the lid under the plastic bowl. Carrying it in one hand as I pluck a cookie out and sink my teeth into it. Moaning to myself I head towards my room. Evan's scent stronger as I climb the stairs. I gobble down the chocolate goodness, picking up another and taking a big bite. May really was going to have to teach me how to make these.

Pausing outside my bedroom door I lick the crumbs from my fingers. Closing the container taking a minute to enjoy the calm before I ruin it by talking to Evan. It might be my fault I made him upset but I wished the Goddess would just cut me some slack. Sending a silent prayer to her to work her magic, I run my hand through my hair. Squeezing my eyes shut tight as I reach for my doorknob and turn it.

Pushing the door open I slowly open my eyes and spot Evan in my peripherals. My teeth gnawing at the inside of my cheek as I force my eyes to the floor. Slipping into the room and shutting the door behind me. I lean against the thick wood looking around the room. My eyes avoiding Evan as I try to think of something to say, anything.

But what could I say, other than the obvious?

"I'm sorry for hiding the real reason for Ally and I leaving." I whisper.

Huffing, Evan moves around the room.

My eyes flicker from the floor to him and back. Evan's back to me as he pulls on a shirt. "I understand why you're upset. Could you for just one second try and understand why I did it though? I've never been the girl who let's others deal with her problems. I won't change, I don't want to change. If you can't handle that then tell me. Don't punish me for being me."

Snorting, Evan spins around to face me, his arms crossing infront of his chest. The way his muscles tense sparking Tala to life and my core to clench. I snap my eyes back down to the floor, trying to regain some form of control over my body. "I-i.. I lied. I'm sorry for that and nothing else. I wish I could lie and say I'm sorry for it all but it wouldn't mean anything. Either you forgive me or you don't, it's up to you." I shrug. "I hope you forgive me. I hope you love me enough to stay, that you don't leave me now, but I won't force you to do anything you don't want to."

"I couldn't reject you now if I wanted to." Evan grumbles.

My heart seizes in my chest. Air knocked from my lungs. It takes everything in me to stand up straight and keep my eyes from watering. I deserved the pain, at least some of it. Maybe Althea breaking my bonds with them was for the better. Evan would get exactly what he wants.

Licking the fronts on my top teeth I nod. Turning my eyes away from him, I continue to bounce my head up and down. Fighting the tears back I clear my throat and lick the corner of my top lip. "I guess you didn't hear the good news then. It's your lucky day, after tomorrow night you won't have to be bound to me ever again." I croak. Clearing my throat again I gaze into his beautiful turquoise eyes. "I'll get out of you hair. I'm not going to force you to be with me until then."