Unforeseen Regret

(M/n) gazed outside the window with a blank stare on her face, allowing the wind to brush through her locks that were pushed back a little. Sighing heavily, her eyes drifted over to where her sleeping child was and frowned a bit.

(Y/n) was still fast asleep and curled up in a ball, not realizing that his mother was looking over at him.

(M/n) brought her gaze up and stared forward, stretching a bit so that her limbs wouldn't go numb and fall asleep since she wasn't in the mood to feel the spiky pokes at the bottom of her feet.

"How much longer until we hit Liyue?" (M/n) asked the coachman who had been awake this whole time since the other decided it wasn't worth enough to take a break since it would just take longer to reach Liyue.

The coachman hummed lightly as they looked up at the sun before looking forward. "Another several hours, I can see Wangshu Inn off in the distance."

A gentle yawn captured (M/n)'s attention which made her look over at her only child who was just starting to wake up. "Are we... there yet?" He quietly asked with lidded tired eyes.

"Close, we're almost at the halfway mark." The coachman answered hearing (Y/n)'s tired voice.

"Mmh." (Y/n) hummed quietly before turning his attention to his fingers, the blindfold sitting comfortably over his eyes, hiding the beautiful views that Liyue had.

"Ah, damn." The coachman silently cursed when they were forced to stop in front of something that was blocking the way.

"What's wrong?" (M/n) asked, wondering why the carriage had suddenly come to a full stop.

(Y/n) felt a shiver go up his spine when he heard a short scream from the coachman and two loud thumps.

(M/n) felt her face pale when she watched blood go flying in the air. Her breathing hitched a bit when she realized that someone had noticed the both of them leaving.

Quickly turning towards her child, she gripped the younger's hands.

"W-what was that?" (Y/n) nervously asked, tightening his grip over his mother's icy cold hands.

"Nothing... I want you to stay here, okay? Make sure no one gets to you. If needed, there's a rock to your left, so hide there." (M/n) states.

(Y/n) felt his mother's hands slip away from his own and stiffened up. "What are you going to do?!" He exclaimed quietly as the both of them heard footsteps walking up to (M/n)'s side of the carriage.

"Don't worry about that, just keep yourself protected." (M/n) reassured before stepping out of the carriage to see who had decided to attack the carriage.

(Y/n) clutched onto his shirt, hoping that it wasn't anything too bad.

"Where the hell is the boy?" A ticked-off voice asked, loud enough for the (H/c)ette to hear what was going on outside.

(M/n) scoffed a bit as she stared at the three Fatui members that had killed her only way to travel that wasn't just walking. "And why should I tell you? You Fatui scum are nothing but troublemakers that follow their so-called leaders." She replied.

"You do realize the consequences you could face, right? The Harbingers are one not to anger," one of the fatui members points out as if (M/n) hasn't heard it all her life after (Y/n)'s birth.

The (H/c)ette felt his body stiffen up while his ears twitched when the sound of soft footsteps was heard walking up to the carriage.

Quietly opening the side door, the child tiptoed silently so that he wouldn't draw any attention to him.