Chapter VIII: Act II

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
A Forest Watcher's Duty
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

The group glanced at a male with a set of fennec fox ears, who was talking to a woman about something important.

This male, Collei's Master, Tighnari, sighed heavily.

"Now, the "Guide to Avidya Forest's Edible Fungi" is clearly posted on our bulletin board. But, if Farbod forgets which mushrooms to avoid one more time, I'll have no choice but to leave the guide somewhere a little more visible – like right smack on his forehead so others can remind him to be careful," Tighnari states.

The female, Nasrin, nodded her head. "Right, this is the second time he's come down with food poisoning this month. I'll be sure to give him a good talking to!" She replied.

Tighnari gave a sound of agreement. "Yes, please do. If, on the off-chance, Farbod simply enjoys having little imaginary fairies dance before his eyes, then we'll just let him be. But, the next time he requires any of our medicine, be sure to charge him accordingly."

Nasrin nodded her head before heading off.

Tighnari turned his attention to the group and entered the small building through the wide-opened door.

The male looked between Aether and (Y/n) with a calm, but calculating look on his face.

"So, how are you two doing? Feeling better?" Tighnari asked.

Collei made a sound of realization when she noticed that she had yet to introduce her master.

"Oh, this is my master, Forest Watcher Tighnari. He is chief officer over all the rangers here in Gandharva," Collei quickly explained.

(F/n) sweatdropped at the fennec fox, noticing how the said male's attention stayed on (Y/n) the whole time.

'I... I didn't plan on having Tighnari be a part of this, but... oh well. It's (Y/n)'s charm of being Asmodeus.' (F/n) mused, mentally shrugging their shoulders.

"I already informed Paimon and (F/n) about the reason why you two fell unconscious earlier, but now that you're both awake, let me explain it for you as well," Tighnari states.

(Y/n) strained a smile, realizing what this meant.

"It is common practice for Sumeru scholars of certain Darshans to dedicate themselves to training and meditation in isolated areas, particularly the nearby forests. While meditating, they use a certain incense known as Spirit Borneol to help calm their minds as they enter a state of deep rumination. In hopes of asking directions, you four followed a scholar named Haypasia into her cave. The incense you smelled was the Spirit Borneol I just mentioned. That incense typically has no effect on most people. But, for a very select few, it can have profound effects on one's cognition, as you two experienced firsthand. Does that make sense?" Tighnari explained.

(Y/n) rubbed at the bridge of his nose, hating the fact that this was another history lesson.

Aether smiled. "Yes, that makes sense," he answered.

The (H/c)ette nodded his head as he dropped his hand to his side. "Understandable," he added.

Tighnari nodded his head. "Very good. Now, answer me this, did you two feel anything after passing out? Say, any out-of-body experiences? Or did you two see anything while unconscious?" He questioned.

Aether and (Y/n) shared a look, taking notice of how they saw the same thing.

Aether decided to speak up first. "It was like this giant tree in the middle of an open space," he began.