Chapter VI: Act XXVIII

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Zhongli's Last Message
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

"Hey, Zhongli! Look at this. Everyone is Liyue's caught up in their emotions, thinking that they'll never see Rex Lapis again... And here you are, looking all relaxed!" Paimon exclaimed as she, (Y/n), and Aether walked over to Zhongli.

Zhongli chuckled. "Hahaha. Why would I not feel more at ease after laying down the burden I have borne for 3,700 years? Right, if the three of you can spare the time, I should treat you to a meal at the Xinyue Kisok," he replied.

"Hah! That sounds like big talk, Zhongli. Paimon might have believed you if you were treating us to some Third-Round Knockout, but you'd have to pay out your pose just to stand inside Xinyue Kisok. Are you sure you can afford it?" Paimon asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Hmm... You're right, I do lack the mora," Zhongli agreed.

"You've been this way this entire time, but..." Aether trailed off.

"But why would Morax lack mora?" Paimon questioned.

(Y/n) sweatdropped. 'Maybe because he had a walking wallet? Wait... shit. I'm a walking wallet for these two. Fuck.' He thought in realization.

"As the Rex Lapis Morax, I can easily create mora. But since I have chosen to walk this earth as the mortal Zhongli, I should abide by the same rules that mortals do. When I was journeying with you, though I still had the Gnosis in hand, I knew that I must soon retire from my role as an archon. So I had to... rehearse a little, for my new life," Zhongli explained.

Paimon looked at Aether and (Y/n). "Oh, no wonder! Paimon gets it now. You didn't look at the price tags when we were spending because you've never had to. But since you weren't used to not being able to just make more mora as and when you wanted to, you had to try becoming a parasite to society who lives off of other people's credit..."

"Well, we were only spending Fatui money. You don't have to say it like that..." Zhongli trailed off.

'Like I said... walking wallet.' (Y/n) mused.

"In the city of commerce, we do not merely exchange money or goods. We also exchange knowledge, memories, and foresight, as well as positions, roles, and lives. The Archon Morax could never experience lift as the true mortal Zhongli could, no matter how many times he descended to be with his people. Haha, I must thank you for that, Aether and (Y/n). I will treasure the memories that I made as Zhongli, traveling the streets of Liyue with you two," Zhongli states.

"It was fun while it lasted," (Y/n) agreed.

Aether nodded his head. "It was a fine journey," he replied.

"That is true, but there is no journey that does not end. No meetings without partings," Zhongli agreed.

"Mm... Paimon thinks that we should make a move and continue our search for The Seven," Paimon piped up.

"I fear that continuing your journey may be difficult. The nation that neighbors Liyue by sea, Inazuma, is presently closed," Zhongli points out.

"Closed"?" Aether repeated.

Zhongli nodded. "Yes. The nation has been closed by order of its deity. The Electro Archon, Baal – and just as the people of Liyue preferred to call me Rex Lapis, she too goes by another name among locals in Inazuma."

"Um, Paimon thinks we've heard that one before. Uh... Rai... Raiden?" Paimon questioned.

"Raiden Shogun," (Y/n) hummed.

Zhongli sent a look toward the (H/c)ette before nodding. "That is the case. And since Raiden is also the Shogun of the Inazuma Bakufu, people call her the Raiden Shogun."