Chapter VIII: Act XI

Cw: mention of blood and mistreatment
╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Daymare
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

A small feline child quietly poked at a green frog that gave the loudest croak that this child didn't want to agree to it being annoying.

Heavy footsteps captured the feline's attention but didn't dare to look up since the frog had all of their attention.

"You piece of shit, look up!" A man's voice snapped as he banged a fist hard against a metal door.

The child flinched in an immediate response as they quickly jerked their head upward with fear dancing in their eyes.

The man smirked in amusement as he unlocked the cage that the young child felt protected by.

"Subject 25151119, it's nice to see you up and ready for today's experiment," the says in a calm, but angering tone.

The feline lowered their head to the ground but was forced to look back up again due to the man snatching their chin to look up at him.

Dark blue eyes wavered in fear when their owner took notice of a very familiar leather and metal-like item that was used of them every single time they were out of the hellhole.

The man snickered lowly as he placed the item, which was a muzzle, around the child's face.

Slowly, small hands cupped around the muzzle for a few seconds before dropping to their owner's sides.

The man abruptly stood up to his feet and yanked the child harshly up by their arm.

A pained gasp escaped the feline's lips as an excruciating pain shot up the arm that had just been yanked on.

A silent tsk was heard as the man forcefully dragged the feline out of the cell, and down the room's hallway which had this nearly toxic-like smell in it.

"You'll be up against one of the Fatui members. I'm amazed that both The Doctor and The Knave want you alive. And for whatever reason? I don't know except that you're extremely important to them for some unknown damn reason," the man blabbed on with an irritated look.

The feline felt tears swell up in their eyes as the pain in their shoulder just kept getting worse and worse every second.

They immediately knew that the man must've popped it out of its socket due to the force that had been tugged upon it.

"Oh, look. You're crying now. You weak little piece of shit, who are you going to cry to now? Your mother? Oh, that's right. She's dead!" The man snapped.

The feline's body trembled as tears dripped down their cheeks.

But instead of scolding the child even more, a loud slap echoed along with a thud hitting the floor.

Dark blue eyes widened in horror as their owner lifted a shaking hand to their face, feeling something wet get onto the tip of their fingers.

Slowly, the child's hand moved forward, allowing the two to take notice of the blood that covered the child's fingers.

Fear immediately made way to the man's face when he saw that his nails had missed the leather of the muzzle, and hit the child's skin instead.

The feline lifted their eyes as they stared at the man that had injured them in pure terror.

The man was clearly trembling at what he had done, and quickly turned face, darting off.

The feline wipes away the blood that was starting to roll down the side of their neck.

This time, a set of soft worried footsteps came in their direction.

A gasp of horror was then heard.

With the pupils blown wide with pain and terror, this second person immediately looked around for the person that caused the child to dissociate from the world around them.

"Oh, poor child..." The person whispered in a pained tone as tears gathered up in their eyes.

This person felt horrible to see this child go through so much just because of what they are.

Dark blue eyes stared blankly ahead as their owner made not a single movement, but the person was relieved to tell that the child was still breathing, indicating that they were alive.

Crouching, the person took a bandage from their coat and waited for the little one to take notice of them.

Slowly, the feline seemed to blink away their fight or flight mode; which was still there, just not as strong as before – and made eye contact with the person in front of them.

Dark blue eyes swelled up with tears once more as they mutely allowed the doctor before them to place a bandage onto their cheek.

Standing up, the doctor reached one of their hands out, making sure not to make contact with the younger one unless the other felt comfortable with doing so.

The feline brought their hands up to their chest with fear swimming in their eyes, causing the doctor to retract their hand to their side.

"How about I get you to The Doctor? I'm pretty sure whoever that was supposed to get you are probably getting their ass beaten by him," the older asked in a gentle tone, trying to crack a small joke.

Dark blue eyes took notice of the joke as their owner released a small ghost-like smile.

This caused the doctor to smile. "Aw, there it is... Look at the cute adorable smile," they cooed.

The feline quickly looked away in embarrassment as their smile disappeared in that instant.

The doctor pouted but smiled once more. "How about this... if you do well in this procedure, I'll get you whatever you want. Just don't tell anyone, okay? This'll be our little secret," they whispered while bringing a single finger to their lips.

The child blinks as they gaze up at the doctor with a surprised look.

"Se...cret...?" The feline whispered.

The doctor's eyes sparkled and quickly nodded their head. "Secret," they whispered back.

The feline brought a finger to their lip– well, muzzle – and made a shushing sound, imitating the other.

"Se...cret..." The feline shushed.

(F/n) gazed up at Dunyarzad with amazement, pretending that they just didn't have a past memory in the middle of the day.

They just...didn't trust the others, except for (Y/n), fully yet.

But maybe one day, they'll trust the others just like how they fully trust (Y/n).

But that day wouldn't be coming any time soon.

It just didn't feel right to say anything at this moment.

But for now? All they can do is live in the future until their past comes crawling up to haunt them again.

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝