Chapter VI: Act XXVII

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Rite of Parting
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

"...Well, since we're going through with this Rite of Parting... I guess it means that those rumors hit the nail on the head," Big-Footed Dajiao states.

"So Rex Lapis is really... But they didn't catch the culprit, did they?" Wrench Wang points out.

"Ah, come on, do you think that the assassin could have been a normal person? You know what I think? I don't think any of the gossip on the streets you hear from those shady types is worth anything. There's only one real possibility in my mind. I've heard that the assassin was that Fatui fellow. Youngish, pretty high in rank – I think they called him Childe," Big-Footed Dajiao retorted.

"The Fatui? They certainly are very suspicious. Who knows what those greedy, crookened folks..." Wrench Wang was cut off.

"Shh! Lower your voice! If the Fatui catch you in their sights, Rex Lapis won't be around to protect you this time!" Big-Footed Dajiao shushed his companion, not wanting anyone to overhear their conversation.

✧˖*°࿐

(Y/n), Paimon and Aether could be seen walking up to the crowd that was surrounding a Millelith Sergeant.

"Hear ye all the Qixing's words: Though a dragon soars ageless as the mountains, it too must return to dust. This is common knowledge. Gods and adepti live glorious lives, but both light and shadow have their season. So, too, must they face divinely-appointed trials. Rumors and hearsay abound the streets that Rex Lapis was murdered. Now, let the truth be revealed. Having been thwarted in his trial, Rex Lapis' soul has recouped the celestial heights. He beseeches the people of Liyue to grieve not and to let not their hearts be saddened. Nor are they to believe-borne rumors or indulge in baseless speculation," the Sergeant quoted.

"Ah... Um, Paimon needs a translation of what the Qixing's announcement said, Aether and (Y/n)," Paimon states as she turned toward her two parental figures.

"They're saying that Rex Lapis died because of a divine trail he had to face," (Y/n) explained keeping his eyes forward.

"...So that's how they're spinning it... Something feels off. Why would they suddenly give up looking for the murderer? Not to mention how this excuse sounds like something they just made up on the spot. Could the Qixing already have known that Rex Lapis wasn't dead? But Zhongli said that neither they nor the adepti knew anything... Hmm... Did Zhongli tell them in secret after his Gnosis changed hands?" Paimon wondered.

"I think you've hit the bull's eye this time," Aether retorted.

Paimon beamed. "Exactly, right? Ooh, seems like the Rite of Parting has been going on for a while now. Let's go have a look," she chirped before heading forward.

(Y/n) rolled his eyes in amusement and gently grabbed Aether's hand – pretending not to see the blonde turn cherry red in the face – and followed after Paimon.

"Look, it's Ningguang and Keqing. Are they saying something? Are their speeches over?" Paimon questioned.

"...As said previously, Rex Lapis' soul returning to the heavens is the end of the contract, and it is also the end of an era," Ningguang states with Ganyu and Keqing standing beside her on both sides.

"3,700 years of contracts, burnt and reduced to ash..." Shitou trailed off.

"We, the people of Liyue were indeed prosperous. But blinded by our own prosperity, we forgot that time can be pitiless," Ningguang continued.

"The long, unending dream of our archon walking among us..." Ying'er whispered.

"Now that we have awoken from our dream, we must learn to say farewell. Will you stand with us as we reestablish our contracts – as we build a new age of prosperity?" Ningguang asked.

"So concludes the words of her Eminence, the Tianquan. Does her Eminence the Yuheng have anything to add?" Ganyu asked, glancing at the purple-haired female beside her.

"Eh? Is she looking this way?" Paimon asked in confusion.

"Traveler and (Y/n)," Keqing called out as she walked up to the three.

"Yikes! She really is looking our way!" Paimon exclaimed.

Whispering started to take over the surrounding area as they gazed at Aether and (Y/n) in awe.

"Is that the traveler and the named (Y/n) who say that they defeated the ancient god?"

"So young..."

"The Liyue Qixing always repay their debts. And as you two have heard, our eyes see far and our reach is long. Name your price. You deserve that much," Keqing states.

"Whoa..." Paimon trailed off in awe.

(Y/n) lowered his lips to Aether's ear. "You take the reward, I'm fine with gaining nothing."

Aether's eyes widened a bit before becoming normal as he looked at the crowd around him.

"Well... could you help me put up some missing person posters...?" Aether asked.

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝