Chapter VII: Act X

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Front Lines
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

Two sides could be seen facing each other, both being rivals and enemies.

The left side was filled with people from the Inazuma Shogunate, being led by a woman by the name of Kujou Sara.

However, the right side of the sandy battlefield was filled with people from the Resistance, who were being led by General Gorou.

The wind brushed past the two groups as water swayed up and down by their feet.

"So you are the only one here? Hm... I thought I might get to meet your grand strategist. She is the one that's been causing our forces so much trouble. The fact the resistance has even held out for this long is thanks to her. But soon, the resistance will fall. They are no match for the might of the Shogun's Army... Her schemes mean nothing now. We have already rooted out those behind the resistance. All who have dishonored the Almighty Shogun will be punished," Sara spoke up, gazing at Gorou with a blank look.

"The Vision Hunt Decree is a brutal injustice. Our resistance has only just begun!" Gorou retorted.

Sara released a sigh from her lips. "...It is futile. There is one other thing. I'm sure you've seen the recent arrest warrants. I trust that the blonde traveler is somewhere among your forces now. I will make you a deal. Hand him over to us, and you'll buy yourself some time. A respite from the bloodshed would be advantageous to both sides, would it not?" She replied with a raised brow.

Gorou's eyes narrowed. "So that's why you brought reinforcements, just to get–"

"He is of great importance to the Almighty Shogun. But the way I see it, he is expendable to the resistance," Sara cut off.

Gorou shook his head. "That's where you're wrong – he means just as much to us. As a member of the resistance, he's a comrade. I'll never surrender him to you. "The resistance never betrays its own". Her Excellency made that clear to everyone from the very beginning," he replied.

"General Gorou!" A male's voice called out.

Footsteps captured the canine General's attention and looked to see who it was.

It was Aether, Paimon, and a fellow soldier, Teppei.

"Teppei... and the Traveler? What are you doing here?" Gorou asked, his eyes widening a bit.

"We're here to help!" Aether declared lightly.

A chuckle escaped from Gorou's lips. "It would appear our time to fight side-by-side has finally come..." He replied.

"Well, well... we meet again. This time, I won't let you get away. I thought that you would seek refuge with the resistance in the hope of receiving asylum. That you choose to show up here proves that you have more bravery in you than I had originally thought. And now that you are here, I have a proposal... Why not represent the resistance in a fight of honor?" Sara mused.

"A "fight of honor"...? What's that?" Paimon asked in confusion.

"Before the battle begins, each side chooses their finest warrior for a match of single combat. To the superior force, there is little significance in such a duel. But for the weaker force, victory could constitute an important boost to their morale. Her motives are clear. She wants to use the match as an opportunity to capture you. Do not feel compelled to participate – we can take the fight to them without such a ceremony," Gorou explained.

Paimon turned her attention to Aether. "Well, what do you think? Will you fight?" She questioned.

"I won't lose," Aether simply answered as he walked forward.

Sara gazed blankly as one of her soldiers walked toward the blonde, polearm in hand.

The first one to move was the soldier from Sara's side.

A loud battle cry escaped the male's lips as he darted forward.

Aether quickly slid his back foot and blocked the incoming attack with his blade which manifested into his hands, instantly.

A quiet grunt left the blonde's lips as he jumped over an incoming attack that wanted to sweep him off his feet.

The soldier tched in annoyance as he sent in another attack to take down the figure that Sara needed to be captured alive.

Aether's eyes narrowed a bit as he swung his blade first, before allowing the said weapon to fall to waist-height and slamming a kick straight into the soldier's temple.

The said soldier's eyes as a choked gasp left his lips as he went flying out of the ring, and slammed into the sandy ground beside Sara's feet.

Sara frowned at her fallen soldier before deciding to allow another soldier of her's to take a stand.

Aether lightly kicked the ground, hitting a nearby pebble – that went flying into the water.

"Remove all threats to Eternity – by order of the Almighty Shogun," Sara ordered.

"Be wary, you're up against a powerful opponent," Gorou worriedly said.

Aether sent a reassuring smile to the canine General before looking back at the soldier right in front of him.

Taking in a deep breath, Aether made the first move this time.

The soldier's eyes widened in shock as he was met face-to-face with the blonde figure he was supposed to retrieve.

Golden hues darted downward as their owner slammed his blade straight into the ground and slammed a kick straight into the soldier's face.

The soldier stumbled back at the sheer force of the kick, trying to get rid of the dizziness he felt.

Before the soldier could even make a move, Aether retrieved his blade from the ground and sent the soldier flying backward with an attack sent at an angle.

Sara's eyes narrowed a bit as she tsked quietly under her breath. This blonde right in front of her knew how to fight.

With the second soldier down and out, a third one stepped in and took his place.

A heavy sigh left Aether's lips as sweat dripped down the side of his face.

Just like the first soldier, the third and final one attacked first.

Aether gripped the handle to his blade even tighter and pushed himself forward with the help of the balls of his feet.

Blade clashed loudly as both weapon users made contact with one another.

The soldier chuckled lowly as he sent a blow straight at Aether, thinking that he would be able to take out the tired blonde.

Aether swung his blade upward at an angle, causing him to block the blow that was coming straight at him.

Paimon floated beside Gorou with a worried look on her face, quietly praying that Aether would be able to defeat this soldier as well.

Clashes of blades continued for several more minutes until Aether decided to descend the final blow this time.

Due to this, the soldier fell to a knee in exhaustion, indicating his defeat to the blonde.

"Stronger than I anticipated... This contest has served its purpose. Soldiers, attack! Glory to the Shogun and her everlasting reign!" Sara loudly ordered.

"Prepare to engage! All of you, with me!" Gorou shouted.

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝