Chapter VI: Act XXV

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Fulfillment
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

"Is it finally over?" Paimon asked in pure hope after the group was able to take down Osial.

"The ominous aura of that monster has indeed begun to fade. The effects of the Sigil of Permission last but a short time. It will be some time before the Overlord of the Vortex can make any waves again," Moon Carver answered.

"We are indebted to you for your assistance. If the adepti hadn't happened to be here, the future of Liyue Harbor would surely have been in great jeopardy..." Ningguang sighed.

"Hmph, save your flattery. We didn't just "happen" to be here... Surely you won't pretend to have forgotten the reason for which we came?" Cloud Retainer retorted back.

"Come now, there's no need for such harsh words, Cloud Retainer. I've heard that when Ningguang began learning to do business, she had already started setting aside part of her then-limited income in preparation for building the Jade Chamber. At first, it was only the size of a small room. But with continued expansion, it has become the palace that lies before you now. It is a testament to Ningguang's entire life, both as a businesswoman and as the backbone of the Liyue Qixing. Seeing the Jade Chamber destroyed in the defense of Liyue means much to her. To me, such cooperation and sacrifice deserves at least some recognition, don't you agree?" Madame Ping states, before looking up at Ningguang who stood beside her.

"Well, I was really hoping you would say that such sacrifice could at least be used as some leverage in our negotiations," Ningguang replied.

Madame Ping chuckled. "...Heh."

"Thank you all for hearing me out. We know very well why the adepti came here today... But please forgive us, we cannot yield to your wishes. 3,700 years... According to our records, the adepti signed a contract with Rex Lapis to protect Liyue 3,700 years ago. Even to this very day, Liyue and its lands have stood the test of time, immovable as stone, just as it was thousands of years before. This is truly no small feat. But that does not mean that the Liyue of today is the same city as it was all those years ago. Do not merely cast your protective gaze upon the land. Instead, focus your sights on our city and each of the citizens that dwell within it," Ningguang thanked.

"Hmm..." Mountain Shaper hummed.

"I mean no offense. I simply hope that our adepti forbearers would see Liyue in a new light," Ningguang explained.

"Hah, "forebearers" you say. One doubts you would be fit to be part of such a lineage..." Cloud Retainer replied.

"This morning, Rex Lapis appeared to me in a dream. In the dream, I learned to tell him that we Qixing, though mortal, are equally bound to the contract. Each passing generation of the Qixing leaves many things of value to be inherited by the next generation. I also thought to tell him how the past generations of Qixing had strove under his rule to survive in our mortal world, establishing a network of contracts which has since come to be known as "trade". But I dared not speak. I could only gaze at him in silence until the moment I awoke," Ningguang says.

"Aw, Ningguang..." Paimon trailed off.

"We're all on the same side here," Aether spoke up, capturing the group's attention.

(Y/n) glanced at the blonde figure beside him, saying nothing to pursue so that the conversation could keep coming.

"Yet another perspective... What are you trying to say, Outlander?" Cloud Retainer asked.

Aether looked up at Cloud Retainer. "When there is discord between the guardians and those they were meant to defend... Harmony becomes very difficult to restore," Aether answered.