Chapter VIII: Act XVIII

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Rumors or Truths?
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

Alhaitham turned his attention to the group of four that had finally made an appearance.

"You four made it. And from the looks on your faces, you were successful." Alhaitham states.

(Y/n) stood beside (F/n) who was currently tugging at the hem of his shirt, pouting angrily at the fact he had bought something for them.

(F/n) was grateful for it, but... they wanted to pay (Y/n) back for everything that he has done for them even if they promised to give the taller male the mora back.

Paimon was looking at the group's surrounding in amazement. "Whoa, there are so many people from the Akademiya here! Why would you pick this place as our meet-up spot?" She asked.

"Well, Wikala Funduq is under the Akademiya's control, so naturally, the Akademiya has people working here. I came to Port Ormos under the pretense of conducting official business," Alhaitham explained.

"You're a pretty daring guy..." Paimon trailed off.

Alhaitham sighed and shook his head. "Relax, no one here is interested in anything we say, and the matra won't come here. Okay now, tell me how your encounter with Dori went."

Aether explained everything that had happened with Dori to keep Alhaitham up to date while handing over the canned knowledge he had gotten.

(F/n) looked around their surroundings for a few moments before their ears perked up when a set of whispers got their attention.

They brought their dark blue hues over in the direction of where they heard the whispering.

"I'm... going to go check something," they whispered to (Y/n), who just nodded his head.

(F/n) stalked off and saw how a group of Akademiya students were talking about something interesting.

"Ah, excuse me ladies... I was wondering what you were talking about?" (F/n) asked as they walked up to the two female students.

The two women turned their attention over to the feline, and one of them smiled.

"Are you curious about Asmodeus and the twin-tailed cat that followed him, too?" The woman that smiled had asked, curiosity swimming in her eyes.

(F/n) nodded their head. "I've heard quite a lot of stories about them, but I recently learned that Sumeru isn't a huge fan of them. Do you know why that is?" They questioned.

The women looked at each other before looking after the teenager and nodded, urging the feline to sit with them.

(F/n) sat across the two women, allowing them to speak.

The woman on the right started to speak this time. "The Sages aren't huge fans of Asmodeus because they see him as one the main reasons why forbidden knowledge taking everyone's minds. The main reason why Greater Lord Rukkhadevata sacrificed herself was that she needed to clean up Asmodeus's 'mess' he had made."

(F/n) tilted their head, pretending as if they didn't know about that. "But wasn't that proven false not long after hers and the Scarlet King's sacrifice?" They asked, confused.

The woman on the left nodded her head. "Yes, you're correct!" She answered, "It was proven by those who created Aaru Village in carved depictions that Asmodeus had no connection to the forbidden knowledge escaping."

A sigh from the woman on the right was heard as she leaned against the palm of her hand. "But the Sages denied everything despite the truth of his supposed 'actions' coming out wrong."

"Where was Asmodeus during this?" (F/n) asked, already knowing the answer to this question.

The woman on the left hummed, before moving closer, making sure that nobody but her, her friend, and (F/n) could hear what she says.

"There's a rumor saying that he wasn't in Sumeru during the disaster, that he was protecting a nation that he had created personally with his companion that he has had for many, many years. I don't know how true this is, but it sounds like a reliable source," the woman whispered.

(F/n)'s eyes widened seeing as how that 'rumor' was actually the truth in a way.

"His companion, you said that they were a twin-tailed cat." They said.

Both of the women nodded their head at (F/n)'s words.

"Yes, Asmodeus had a companion who is apparently from Inazuma. A Yokai, to be exact. Sadly, they had lost their life in the battle due to being killed in the same disaster that had killed Asmodeus."

The woman on the right then grinned. "The twin-tailed cat was always a mystery seeing as it was the size of a house-cat that was said they could create illusions due to them being the embodiment of trickery and slyness."

(F/n) hummed lightly, nodding. "Did his companion have a name?" They asked.

The woman on the left shrugged her shoulders. "Many say that the companion did have a name, and then there were others that say there was no such thing."

"Oh, oh! There's also a rumor that Celestia placed a curse on both of them." The woman on the right says, a look of realization coming across her face.

"A... curse?" (F/n) asked, pretending to act shocked so that they didn't seem suspicious.

"Mhm! It is said that Celestia got so angry at Asmodeus and his companion's creation that they placed a curse on the two of them seeing as they were the two that wield the truths of Teyvat." She answered.

"Angry? Just because they were created? That's absurd," (F/n) says.

The woman on the right nodded her head in agreement. "It's told that the curse forces them to reincarnate every single time they die. However, there downfall to the curse, though."

"Oh?" (F/n) raised an eyebrow at that.

"The downfall is said to be that the person is supposed to lose their memories of their previous life, just to slowly regain them after a certain period. But, there's also a saying that the curse was only to keep Asmodeus from saying anything about the world."

"We'd like to think that Celestia planned on having the nation created by Asmodeus destroyed while killing both him and his companion in the process."

(F/n) blinked, surprised to hear how real the 'rumors' were.

"And how did you hear about these rumors?" The feline asked.

"Hm, some weird man was talking about it to one of the Sages and we might've overheard it."

(F/n) immediately tensed up when they realized who the women were talking about.

It was Dottore.

They... overheard Dottore and one of the Sages.

Well, shit.

They're screwed.

Big time.

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝