Chapter VI: Act XI

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Bargaining Stones
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

"Welcome to the Jade Mystery, my good friends! Would you like to try your luck betting on jade? This could be your lucky day. It's cheap and it's fun, and who knows, you just might strike it rich!" The Jade Mystery's boss, Shitou, exclaimed.

Paimon's brows furrowed. "Betting? No no, we're here for... um, what was it again?" Paimon asked.

"Noctilucous Jade, of radiant grade at the very least," Zhongli answered.

Shitou gave a surprised look. "Radiant grade Noctilucous Jade? I see you're not a tourist. My apologies. I have some here for your perusal..." He retorted.

The group of four watched as the man showed them three separate jades.

"What do you think? The Jade Mystery is an old name in the jade business. Just look at that wonderful quality! Rex Lapis doesn't often bless us with such finery. Go on, pick whichever one you like!" Shitou urged on.

Paimon squinted her eyes to look at the jades even more as she plopped herself right onto (Y/n)'s shoulders.

"These three pieces really do look pretty, not like the ones you usually dig up..." Paimon trailed off as she placed her head on top of (Y/n)'s (H/c) locks.

Her blue eyes then drifted over to Aether. "But how do we pick? Should we just grab one and go?" She asked worriedly.

"A man who makes his living off betting on stones can't be trusted so lightly," Aether explained.

Zhongli nodded his head in agreement. "Very good. It seems you have learned some tricks of the trade," he said, pleased.

Aether and Paimon looked up at Zhongli.

(Y/n) quietly sipped away at a bottle of apple juice he had somehow got.

Where?

No clue.

"What do you think, Mr. Zhongli? How should we pick from these pieces of Noctilucous Jade?" Paimon asked, wanting Zhongli's input on the situation.

Zhongli hummed. "Oh? You want me to decide? That is fine as well. If it were me, the answer would be simple," he retorted.

"Oh? And that would be...?" Paimon questioned.

"I'll take them all, boss." Zhongli declared.

Shitou grinned. "Oh, you act with such panache, good sir! I always knew you were not a man of ordinary caliber."

"Wait! Wait! Boss, that one didn't count! We need to discuss it again!" Paimon scolded.

The group of four went off to the side to speak with one another.

Paimon pouted angrily at Zhongli. "Hey! If we only need one for the ritual, aren't we wasting three times the mora if we buy them all!?" She exclaimed.

"Actually, it's two times," Aether piped up.

"Oh, mora. Hmm..." Zhongli trailed off.

(Y/n) mentally deadpanned. 'He's fucking broke. Please don't have me pay for this shit.' He mused in disappointment.

"It is as you say. I suppose I overlooked this particular aspect of the transaction," Zhongli states.

Paimon gave a look of disbelief. "Huh? How do you not think about mora when buying things!?"

"If one must always consider mora before acting, then in all things one is bound by mora. All mora is currency, but not all currency is mora," Zhongli explained.