Chapter VIII: Act VI

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Pita Pockets
And
Unwanted Memories
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

Paimon squinted as she took in the figure on top of the statue. "Huh, now that Paimon looks at it, the deity that's carved on the statue is... kinda small. Hmm, do you think she's supposed to be Greater Lord Rukkhadevata or Lesser Lord Kusanali?" She asked.

"Maybe Lesser Lord Kusanali?" Aether replied.

"The name does seem to fit the statue somehow, hmm... Well, anyway, we'll have to figure that out later. Let's get started on cleaning the statue. Paimon'll fly up and take care of the top, and you clean everything below," Paimon retorted.

The duo then got to work on cleaning the statue.

✧˖*°࿐

"Collei, (F/n), we're back!" Paimon chirped, capturing the said duo's attention.

Collei sent a warm smile. "Welcome back! You must be tired after all that climbing. Let's take a little break. I brought some food and water for us," she states.

"Yay, food! What kind of goodies did you bring!?" Paimon cheered.

"Paimon, some restraint, please..." Aether lightly scolded.

(F/n) hid a quiet snicker as they looked back and forth between Aether and Paimon.

Paimon pouted. "Hey, don't be a party pooper! It's not like Collei is a stranger or anything. Besides, the best way to compliment a chef is to show passion for their food! Xiangling taught Paimon that," she huffed out.

Collei stared in amusement. "I prepared a nice, portable dish that Forest Rangers like to eat, called Pita Pockets. I hope you'll like them... Wh–Whoops!" She cried out as she accidentally dropped the wrapped-up food.

Paimon stared in pure horror. "AH! Nooo!! You dropped it on the ground!" She exclaimed.

(F/n) crouched and picked up the wrapped-up food with amusement dancing about in their eyes.

"Not to worry! I wrapped a few layers of oiled paper around each pita. They should be fine," Collei quickly reassured.

Paimon released a sigh of relief. "Oh, whew... Paimon nearly had a heart attack there," she mumbled.

The trio, plus Paimon, went to a nearby fallen log and sat down with Collei passing out the food.

'Bon appetite.' (F/n) mused as they unwrapped the pita, and took a quick bite.

Their eyes widened a bit, taking in the natural spices that exploded in their mouth.

'It's... not bad. Spicy ramen is better.' (F/n) thought as they quietly ate the remaining bits and pieces of the food.

It didn't take long for the four to finish off their food, seeing as they went straight into a conversation.

"Those pitas are amazing! You're quite the cook, Collei. Thank goodness you wrapped them in paper... Paimon wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing something tasty had been wasted," Paimon praised.

Collei giggled and sent a smile. "Haha, you really know how to compliment the chef, Paimon. Since you liked it so much, I'll be sure to give you a copy of the recipe sometime. I'll even include all my personal cooking pointers, so you'll be making your own Pita Pockets in no time," she retorted.

Paimon clapped her hands in excitement. "Yay thanks, Collei! It's hard to believe someone as diligent as you could have clumsy moments too," she chirped.

(F/n) took notice of how Collei stiffened up, fumbling with her fingers as she laughed nervously.

"Oh, hehe... I guess it happens from time to time," Collei states.