Chapter VI: Act IX

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Red Flag
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

"You've finally returned. How was your journey to Jueyun Karst?" Childe asked, looking back and forth between Aether and (Y/n) with a raised brow.

"We faced a few challenges with two of the adepti, but we were able to make due since we got to talk with them in the end." (Y/n) answered, keeping his eyes steadily on Childe's figure.

Aether and Paimon took notice of how Childe's eyes sharpened upon the (H/c)ette speaking up but didn't want to make the tension even more awkward than it already is.

Childe hummed lowly as he nodded his head. "...I see. Moon Carver, Mountain Shaper, Cloud Retainer, Conqueror of Demons... Some of these names have never come up in the intel the Fatui gets hold of. As a returning gift, I too have information for you. Regarding the archon's passing... The Liyue Qixing's response really has given me food for thought... They've announced that, as the true killer has not yet been found, they are not allowing anyone to pay their respects to the Exuvia. They've even gone so far as to try and cut off information... But with the Rite of Descension and all, even the Qixing isn't able to keep a lid on things," he explained.

Paimon gave a confused look. "Exuvia?" She asked.

"It's common knowledge in Liyue that Rex Lapis is also an adeptus. The Geo Archon is also the God of Contracts and is also known as the Exuvia, Prime of the Adepti. The mighty and illuminated adepti of today all signed contracts to protect Liyue way back then," Childe answered.

"Guess that explains why they're all so focused on Liyue's well-being," Paimon replied.

"Naturally. They both have the responsibility and the aptitude for the job. If the ruling Qixing became unable to perform their duty properly, the adepti have the right to take corrective action. The Geo Archon's spirit has risen, so why would the Qixing hide his vessel? Truly suspicious," Childe states.

"This makes things difficult for me too," Aether said with a sigh leaving his lips.

"Oh! Right! He's the whole reason we came here! If the Liyue Qixing has locked up Exuvia and won't let anyone near... Then Aether's quest to find The Seven is already over!" Paimon exclaimed.

(Y/n) kept his head low, listening to the conversation that was happening right in front of him.

Childe gave a look of interest in hearing that. "Oh? You're trying to find The Seven? And just why might that be, pray tell?" He asked.

"Nothing to do with you," Aether answered in a blunt tone.

Childe chuckled. "Heh... nice answer. A knight that gets duped by the Fatui would really be no knight at all now, would they? But, I can help you with that too you know," he teasingly said.

"Hmm? Really?" Paimon asked, ignoring all of the red flags that wanted to slap her in the face.

"Give me some time. Time... to find someone. Someone who can help you break through this stalemate. Truly fascinating. The harder they try to silence the situation, the greater the chaos that erupts... If you want to be around to see it all come crashing down, best you stay alive until we meet, yes?" Childe retorted before heading off.

"Hm? You've been really quiet, (Y/n)... is something wrong?" Paimon asked in worry, glancing up at the taller figure beside her.

"Paimon..." Aether whispered, not wanting to bother his crush with all the questions.

(Y/n) blinked when he heard his name get called out by Paimon, and turned to look at the duo.

The (H/c)ette gave a fake reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, I'm fine. It's just... something Childe said rubbed me the wrong way," (Y/n) retorted while giving a gentle head pat to Paimon's head.

Paimon and Aether shared a look– despite the female companion trying her best to figure out what the taller figure meant.

"I'm gonna head off somewhere. Let's meet back up at Wangshu Inn," (Y/n) states.

Aether huffed quietly but nodded his head. "See you in a bit," he retorted.

(Y/n) gave the duo a smile before heading off to do something.

Paimon crossed her arms over her chest. "It's like he's not even one with the world! He's just so dazed off into whatever headspace he's in, and don't realize what happens until we call him!" She pouted.

Aether shook his head. "We shouldn't pry too much, Paimon. (Y/n) said he was feeling homesick... maybe he's remembering the time he spent here?" He replied.

"I hope so!" Paimon exclaimed.

✧˖*°࿐

"So... are we going to question why the Tsaritsa wants him?" An annoyed voice asked as it echoed throughout a large icy meeting room.

"Come on, Signora. There's nothing wrong with the Tsaritsa wanting something that was once dear to her," another voice chimed in.

"Of course, you would say that... Arlecchino," Signora angrily huffed out.

Arlecchino rolled her eyes at the female Harbinger before her.

"We shouldn't question the Tsaritsa. She always has a reason for what she wants to be done, even if it'll take a long time just to get it." A low voice muttered.

Signora's eyes drifted down the table, and to the person who spoke up.

"Is there any real story for this (H/c)-haired person? Like, were they old lovers or friends at one point? Wait... He's a fucking mortal, of course, they wouldn't be together." Signora mumbled.

"Now, the real question is... How is our little subject who happened to escape all those years ago?" Arlecchino asked, bringing her eyes to an elf-like figure that was clearly short.

The elder-like figure hummed lowly, agreeing with what the question was referring to.

Signora leaned forward and smirked, twirling a small cup filled to the brim with wine.

Soft humming from another figure in the room was heard as it echoed throughout the building, bouncing off the walls.

"Still possessing the dead body we retrieved over a decade ago, of course."

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝