235: No, you didn't... (1)

Chapter 235: No, you didn't... (1)

-

The Akatsuki members have projected their consciousness inside a dark cave where they were holding a meeting.

"Hidan and Kakuzu...?"

"And Hidan's severed head was taken for interrogation, you say?"

"Ugh, I knew those two were good for nothings!"

The Akatsuki members argued amongst themselves after Pain let them know of the recent incident. Now, only six members remain in Akatsuki. Pain & Konan, Itachi & Kisame, and White Zetsu & Black Zetsu. There was also a new recruit, Tobi.

"Konoha has grown, it seems," Itachi said, his tone light. "Who was it this time?"

Last time it was mostly Neji alone who defeated Sasori and Deidara, and even killed the fucking One-Tailed Beast. Zetsu had seen the incident happening and reported it to the Akatsuki. That's why Itachi, along with the others, were naturally curious about who it was this time.

"Might Guy and his protege, Rock Lee, were behind the incident this time." Pain said, watching everyone's reaction.

Though everyone was surprised, Kisame was the most shocked. "What?! Green Beast, that weakling? Just how weak were Hidan and Kakuzu?"

Pain was about to tell Kisame to shut up, but Itachi spoke first. "They were not weak. There is a reason why I told you to be careful with Guy the last time we met."

Pain had to agree. The Eight Gates were a fearsome technique, even for his standard. However, as expected, Kisame wasn't buying it. Kisame and the others chatted on the topic for a bit more before Pain decided to interrupt.

"We need new teammates." He said, watching them turn to him. "The two-tailed beast capture was a failure because Might Guy stopped Hidan and Kakuzu just when Hidan was doing his prayer."

"That goddamned idiot!"

Pain continued while ignoring Kisame. "So we need another team to go fetch the two-tailed beast, and also hunt Chiriku, one of the Twelve Guardian Shinobi, for his bounty. With Kakuzu gone, we need another person to look after the finances of Akatsuki. Any volunteers?"

As expected, "Tobi" raised his hand first. "Oh, oh! I wanna go! If Hidan and Kakuzu managed to defeat the two-tailed beast, I am sure I can too! Let me go!"

"Alright, Tobi will go." Paid nodded.

"Yay-"

"But." Pain interrupted the fake manchild's cheer. "You're going to recruit another member before you go. Akatsuki always moves in a two-member team, I can't send you alone."

"Awww." Tobi sighed. "Fine, who is it?"

"Hey, is it really okay to let Tobi recruit someone?" Kisame butted in. "Like, are you sure?"

Pain held back a sigh. That's what he would think too if he didn't know who "Tobi" really was. "Yes, I am sure. In any case, Tobi, you'll go to the Land of Iron, and recruit Hiruko, a Konoha missing-nin, for your team."

The room fell silent.

Itachi looked at him with his Sharingan. "Is that really a smart thing to do? Hiruko, according to the rumours, isn't someone who would work with us."

"We know a secret that'll make him work." Pain said, dismissing the matter. "On another matter, Itachi, I believe you'll like this one." Pain looked into Itachi's Sharingan. "Your brother, Sasuke Uchiha, has unlocked his Mangekyo Sharingan."

There was a hint of surprise in Itachi's eyes before he quickly covered it. Haah, as expected, this incident was big enough for even Itachi Uchiha to show surprise, something he didn't do in all the years he had spent in the Akatsuki.