Chapter 17 - One room for two

"It's starting to get cold, i'm going to prepare some tea for everyone" says MK
"Oh thank you sis, leave the hard work to me, next time you work alone and i'm with mom" says the other twin. I look at Lizzie who smiles at me and makes me a face as if to say "pretend nothing happened"
"You're always the same little kid Ash" says Mary going inside the house.
"Are they always like this?" i ask to Lizzie
"Most of the time, but i swear they love each other"
I smile, but frames of my life come back to my mind again.
"You seem like a beautiful family, you love each other so much" i say, but those frames get more and more vivid and i think Lizzie has noticed, maybe from my face or my voice
"Y/n..." she looks me worried
"It's okay, tell me about you and your family, i want to know you better"
"Uhm okay...well yes we love each other very much, even though we have never been a normal family, especially when Mary-Kate and Ashley were at the height of their careers, there was little time for things like family dinners, celebrations or waking up everyone in the morning and having breakfast together, but we have always fought to stay together" she says
For me this is more than a normal family, it's a perfect family, where everyone supports and loves each other.
"What about you dad?"
"My mother and him divorced when i was 7, he made a family with his new wife, but she preferred to be alone. I have two step-siblings, but i don't like to think of them that way because they are siblings in all respects. Even if they are no longer together they love each other and above all they love us, during the holidays we all celebrate together as a big family"

She's really lucky, i envy her a lot, i mean she deserves a family like this because Lizzie deserves the world but i would like to have a family like that too. I don't realize i'm crying until i feel Lizzie's thumb dry my tears.
"Sorry, maybe i shouldn't have, i exaggerated -i-"
"It-it's okay Liz, i-i asked you to talk about it" i say sobbing
"Hey come here" she opens her arms and hugs me tightly
"I don't want to ask you anything, i know there is something and i guess it's hard to talk about it, but remember that you are not alone okay? There is Cassie who loves you and would do anything for you and there is me, we are your family Y/n, don't forget" she kisses my head and i relax in her arms.
"Why don't you go inside and get a glass of water? We're done here, i put in order everything and then i'll come to you"
"Okay..." i start to get up but she stops me
"Wait, you're all dirty on your cutie nose"
She slightly sucks her thumb and then comes close to my nose, rubbing it gently so as not to hurt me.
Then she leaves me a kiss on it.
"Here you are clean now" she says smiling
I get up destabilized by what just happened and literally run away inside.
I go to the kitchen and find Mary-Kate making tea.
"Need help?" she asks
"Uhm yeah, could i have some water?"
"Yes, it's in the fridge" she says while she pours the tea into the cups.
I do as she tells me and pour some water into a glass, in the meantime she hands me a cup and once again analyzes me from head to toe.
She sends me more into confusion than her sister and i mean, Lizzie is good at that. Maybe she doesn't like me or thinks i'm a bad influence for Lizzie.
"Can i ask you something?"
"Tell me" she says
"Are you hate me?"
"Why do you think so?" she says, sitting down on stool
"I-i don't know, the way you look at me, do you think i'm not a good person for Lizz-"
"Do you love her right?" she says interrupting me and leaving me stunned
"W-what?" i ask
"You love her, since you've been here you've only had eyes for her, i watched you for this"
"I don't really know actually" i say lowering my head and playing with my fingers nervously
"I don't judge you for this, i'm nobody to do it and i don't even care about your age difference, you look like a mature person Y/n, maybe you can't see it yet but there is something between you two, something that goes far beyond friendship. Lizzie is now blinded by love for Robbie, he was a very important person to her but i see how he is changing her, i never liked him but i had to accept him for my sister's happiness. But with you she's different, she looks at you like she has never looked at anyone, including her ex boyfriends"
"But she doesn't like girls" i say
"I don't know, i don't have a sure answer for that, but i also believe my sister has been lying to herself for so many years and i just want she felt free to express herself and who knows, maybe with you"
"What are you trying to tell me Mary?" i ask not understanding the point of this conversation
"What i'm trying to say is that whatever happens between you two, i'll be happy about it, but at the same time you will have to be aware of the consequences that await you and i don't want my little sister to lose everything she has built over the years. Sometimes love is not enough to stay together, you have to fight, you have to protect and take care of each other"