Chapter 22 - Puzzle pieces

LIZZIE'S POV

"Hey mom" says y/n holding the hand of the woman lying on that bed. I think i felt my heart breaking into a thousand pieces at those words.
"Did you see? I kept my promise and came to see you"
No reply.
No movement.
The eyes are closed and the body is rigid.

It seems she's talking to a dead body but that machine the woman is attached to says otherwise.

"I brought you a person i wanted to introduce you to. This is Lizzie mom, she's a friend of mine. I'm sure you would like her a lot mom, you have so many things in common, you would spend hours talking about gardening " i look at her with tears in my eyes and the delicacy with which she talks to her mother makes me understand how much she loves her, the two certainly had a good relationship.

She turns to me and looks at me with red eyes, i can feel her pain but she tries to stay strong in front of me but especially with her mother.
"Come here" she says stretching her hand that i grab and go next to her
"She is my mom Amelia" she says to me
I look at the woman and get freeze without knowing what to do or say.
"Nice to meet you miss, i'm happy to know the person who brought this extraordinary girl into the world, i'm so grateful to have her daughter as my friend" i say without even knowing if she's listening to me or not but the smile that comes out on y/ n's face when hearing me talk to her mother is something i would pay a thousand times more for.
I can only imagine how difficult it is to talk to a person you love so much and knowing that she can't give you an answer, knowing that she might not even hear you.

"See mom how amazing she is? She's so important to me and most of all she makes me so happy so you don't have to worry about me mom, now i have her too and with Cassie they'll take care of me i promise. Take you time, i'm here waiting for you" she says but she begins to no longer control her tears.
I place my hand on hers, which holds her mother's hand
"I promise you miss, i will take care of your daughter, it's the last thing i do but i will make sure she is always happy" i say, she looks at me and I see a twinkle in her eyes.
"Are you okay?" she asks
"You aren't the one who should ask this question" i say ironically and she shows me a weak smile

We look into each other's eyes for an infinite amount of time, i get lost in her beautiful brown eyes.
Yes, they are beautiful i admit and i would spend hours watching them.
We look away from each other when we hear a knock on the door.
"Sorry if i interrupted you, but sis you should go now, you know-uhm he's here" says Emma.
I see y/n stiffen and clench her fists hard.
Who are they talking about?
"All right, but Emma call me if- you know what" she says taking a deep breath to calm down.
"Of course Y/n, i'll take care of it here, don't worry about it" the two hugs and after saying goodbye to Emma and her mother we leave the room.
"I need some air, would you like to go to the roof?" she says upset
"Sure, anything that can make you feel a little better" i say reassuring her with a smile.

We go up to the roof of the hospital from which you can see a beautiful view of LA.
While i admire the landscape i see y/n approach the railing and get lost in her world.
I go close to her and hug her from behind.
"Hey you know i'm here if you need it right? You don't have to keep it all inside" i whisper leaving her many little kisses on the back.
"I know Liz it's just- it's so hard sometimes" she says with a broken voice
"I know baby, i can only imagine, but you're not alone okay?" i would like to do something more, have a magic potion to wake up her mother and see y/n happy.
"I guess you want to know how it happened" she affirms
"Only if you want"
"I brought you up here, you deserve to know. When i was 5 my family and i moved from Italy to New York and everything was fine or at least better than how things would go in the future. I've never had a good relationship with my father. He's a doctor, he wants everything to always be perfect and he's never seen this in me. I was the creative and crazy one who would never accomplish anything in life, but my sister was the smart one and the pride of my father when she decided to study nursing.
Things got worse during my teens, i started experimenting with my sexuality until i realized I liked girls. My mom was the first i told about it and she accepted me lovingly. She has always been good to me, she has always tried to give me everything that my father didn't give me, even if to turn against him sometimes. One day my father saw me kissing a girl and from there everything changed. It was one of the worst days of my life, he kicked me out of the house telling me that i was a mistake, that i was sick and that he didn't want a daughter like that in his house. For a while i was hosted by Cassie's family, she and i had known each other since i moved to New York. They and Cassie are a second family to me. It was around that time that Cassie and i decided we were going to move to Los Angeles.
So after we put the money aside we moved here. Meanwhile my mom divorced my father and she and my sister moved here. My mom found the hill house and my sister soon after got engaged to the one now and her husband. Everything was fine without my father around. And then one night everything changed. Before Aubrey i was with a girl, it was my first and real relationship but like everyone else she left leaving me alone. It was the first time i ever felt my heart break. It was 3 in the morning, it was almost Christmas and in desperation i called my mother and she without hesitation took everything and left the hill house, where we were supposed to spend Christmas together, to come here but something went wrong, perhaps due to the icy road and the car swerved into a ravine. It had been hours and i hadn't received any news from my mother despite having called her tens of times, until i received a call from her, but on the phone it wasn't  her but the hospital that call me to tell me that my mother-m-my mother had a-an accident-" she stops and starts sobbing
"Honey..." i say caressing her back
"N-no i'm fine. Uhm i ran to the hospital, called my sister who joined me shortly after. After hours a doctor told us that they had done everything but my mother ended up in a coma. All this because of me, if i hadn't called her- s-she-she-"
"Hey it's not your fault okay?" i say
"Yes it is, don't try to show me things for what they are not, i was the one who caused the accident, i was the one who brought my mother to that bed" the conviction with which she says those things about herself hurts me so much, as if whatever i could say right now wouldn't change the negative way she sees herself.
"What about your father?" i ask
"He found out shortly after, you can imagine that his hatred of me increased unconditionally. For him i was just the one who killed his wife, even though they were divorced and he's a shit person he always loved my mother and the same was for my mother, but she chose love for her daughters, for me. It's been 4 years since that night and the situation hasn't changed. Sometimes there are complications and every time i'm terrified of losing her but then the situation returns to the usual one. She, motionless on a bed that seems dead" i can't imagine how difficult it must be to know that your mother has been in a coma for 4 years, not being able to talk, laugh with her and above all have the terror every time of lose her forever even if in a certain sense it already seems to be.
"Was your father the person your sister referred to earlier?" i ask

I see her clench her jaw and violently grab the edge of the railing. I can feel all the hatred she has towards that man and i can't blame her.
"Yes, it was him. Sometimes he comes to see her and it's better if we are not in the same room. Listen, the reason why i was such a bitch with you at night on the beach is because i got a call from my sister after another complication from my mother. He was there and seeing my mother so he said it would be better to pull the plug so that my mother stops suffering.
I was so full of anger and hatred towards him that i took it out on the person who most of all didn't deserve it, you. But i was so angry that one person has to decide for someone else's life. I can't let that happen, i'm sure my mother will wake up because she's the strongest person i know, i don't want to lose hope because of my father, i don't want to sign some fucking papers that will kill my mother. I don't want to lose her Liz, i-i c-can't-" she bursts into tears and throws into my arms and i hold her tight to me.

Now that all the pieces of the puzzle are complete, i can see the whole picture and now more than ever i will not let her go, i will hold her in my arms, safely. I'll take care of her, i promised to her mother and i'm sure she heard me.

"Hey look at me" i raise her head and she looks at me with tears in her eyes.
"I'm with you, i'll be close to you in this fight, i'll do everything i can to help you. She'll wake up, i promise Y/n, you'll hug her again, you'll hear her voice again and you'll see her eyes again. Don't lose hope okay?"
"Why are you doing it? Why do you stay close to me even after everything i've told you?" she asks
"Because we are like two pieces of a puzzle, which fit together perfectly. If even one is missing, the other will inevitably feel a void at its side. And if we aren't together, the picture will never be complete, it will never find its end. That's why we need each other, to fill the void we have and because being together our life is complete just like the puzzle" she looks at me and then hugs me tightly.
"Thanks, thank you for being here, with me, for not running away and for staying. It means a lot to me, you mean a lot to me"
"I'm not going anywhere, i never could"
"What if one day i hurt you? What if i'll do something like what happened to my mom to you? I could never forgive myself Liz" she says lowering her head
"It won't happen because it wasn't your fault, it wasn't anyone's fault but a fucking twist of fate. Sometimes life is really bitchy, even with people who don't deserve it like you and your mom"
"Life has been a little too bitchy with me, don't you think?" she says ironically and i smile thinking about how strong she is, despite everything she has been experiencing for the past 4 years, here she is trying to smile and find the funny side of the situation.
"Yes it was" i say smiling at her
"But at least it gave me a beautiful gift, it made us meet and now you are part of my life, my little bear" she makes our foreheads collide and we get lost in each other's eyes.
"Then what a beautiful gift it gave me too, having you in my life is the best thing that ever happened to me" i say and we just smiling at each other and enjoying the moment.
That's what i call happiness.
Me and her.
Just the two of us.

....................................................................................

A/N
Hey guys how are you?

I hope you enjoyed this new chapter.

I personally find it one of the most beautiful because finally y/n is starting to open up with Lizzie and trust her, this is a big step in their relationship.

Also we have discovered a lot more of y/n's past, what do you think? Did you expect it?

I'm curious to read your opinions so write many many comments

See you in the next chapter
Love y'll 🤍