Chapter 101 - Paparazzi

Y/N'S POV

The days blur together in this haze of monotony and despair as i'm behind these cold bars, and each passing moment only serves to deepen the sense of hopelessness that weighs heavy on my chest.
I sit on the edge of my cot, staring at the dreary walls of my cell.
The echoes of my actions still ring in my ears and I'm aware i was wrong, but i refuse to accept the label of criminal that has been unfairly thrust upon me.
I made mistakes, but i'm not the one who should be behind bars.

As i lost in my thoughts, my cellmate, Maria, approaches me with a sympathetic gaze.
"Hey y/n, you doing okay?" she asks me
I force a weak smile, trying to mask my frustration
"Yeah, as okay as one can be in this place, i guess" i mutter, drawing on the wall with my fingers.
She nods understandingly, taking a seat beside me.
"Hey y/n, i know it's rough in here. But you'll get through it. We all do" she says trying to comfort me
I really appreciate her attempt at comfort, but the weight of this situation feels insurmountable.
"I don't know, Maria. It just feels like I'm stuck in a nightmare that I can't wake up from" i state sighing
"I get that. But trust me, things have a way of working out, even when it feels like they won't" she tells me with her voice hoarse because of the many cigarettes she has smoked in her life.
"Thanks, Maria. I needed to hear that" i respond nodding
Maria smiles warmly, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder.
"Anytime, chica. We're all in this together" she affirms
"Hey, they're letting us out into the courtyard for some fresh air. You wanna come with me?" she adds trying to cheer me up
I shake my head declining her offer
"No, thanks, Maria. I think I'll just stay here" i state
She gives me a sympathetic nod before heading out to join the others.
Alone in the cell, I sink deeper into my thoughts, my mind drifting back to Lizzie and the events that led me to this place.
How did everything spiral out of control so quickly?

A heavy sense of loneliness settles over me.
Despite Maria's kindness, i can't shake the feeling of isolation that grips my heart.
I wonder how she is, what she's doing right now.
God i miss her, i miss Lizzie with all my heart.
I trust her, but damn, fear's got me by the throat. We've been waiting so long for this moment of freedom, and now it feels like it's slipping away. When will I get to see her again?
When can we finally just be together without all this crap hanging over us?

———————————-

Days turned into weeks and the routine of prison is literally killing me.
The meals are bland and unappetizing, the hours stretch on endlessly, and the constant presence of guards only serves to amplify the feeling of being trapped.
I spend my days poring over boring books, writing letters to Lizzie even if she'll never read them.
"Ay chica! Could you be any cheesier?" Maria chuckles, leaning over to peek at my letter.
"Oh shut up Maria, you're just jealous" i joke back
"Of course amiga, you give her more attention than me" she teases with her playful tone.
We both laugh lightening the air in this prison.
While we're joking an officer approaches the door of our cell
"Y/l/n, it's your lucky day. Follow me" he says coming inside to handcuff me
"Wait, what?" i ask confused
"The charges against you have been dropped. You're free woman now" he explains seriously

A surge of emotion flood through me as i processing his words.
"Oh my god amiga, did you hear that? You're being released!" she tells me excitedly running to me and hugging me tightly
"I-i can't believe it" i whisper on her shoulder
"I knew it. You're a good person y/n, now go out and show everyone who you are. Oh and go get your girlfriend back" she says using her witty tone
"Thanks Maria, really. I couldn't have made it through without you" i say almost crying
"Take care out there, y/n. And remember, you'll always have a friend in me" she says smiling warmly
"I'll see you out there. It's a promise" i tell her
With a bittersweet farewell, i gather my belongings and follow the officer out of the cell.
"Adios chica!" i hear Maria's voice behind me, making me smile