Chapter 54 - Behind every action there's a story

LIZZIE'S POV

Christmas is just over a week away and y/n will be ready to leave the hospital in a couple of days.
We haven't seen each other since that day when i told her everything, i wanted to reflect on her words but above all to give her time to metabolize everything.
Maybe part of me was even afraid of being rejected by her but i have to deal with the situation so here i am, walking the corridors of the hospital.
In these days i've been keeping informed by Emma and Cassie, they told me that y/n has started walking again, well with crutches obviously because she's still weak, but they're still improvements.
She's continuing to see a psychologist and a nutritionist and has promised to do so once out of the hospital.
I'm so proud of her, she's made big steps and i'm sure she'll only get better.

I walk into the room and i find Emma and Hailee, but my eyes don't see the only person they really want to see.
"Hey Lizzie" Emma greets me hugging me, she looks really exhausted, but always so kind with me.
I look at Hailee who as always gives me a menacing look but i decide to ignore her.
"Hi Emma, ​​uhm where is your sister?" i ask her
"Here she-well my father came here with the expectation that we sign the agreement to disconnect the machine that keeps my mother alive and y/n as it should be freaked out and they had a fight" she explains showing me the papers they should sign
"It's a crime, he can't decide for your mother" i reply
"No well yes of course, but my father doesn't do it with badnass, i mean it's wrong but at the same time i understand it because he's just tired of the situation.
Obviously y/n got angry with me thinking i was defending him and she left the room"

After all Emma is right, yes he remains an asshole, but i think he still loves his wife and hates seeing her in the same condition for years.
Maybe i understand a little, i felt the same thing seeing y/n in that bed with no signs of life, but i don't know if exasperation would ever have led me to make that decision.

"Where she is?"
"I think she's on the roof, it's the only place that calms her down, i'd love it if you could talk to her" says Emma
"She shouldn't go, she would end up making her stay even worse" Hailee intrudes,
i would like to answer her but i don't want to lower myself to her levels.
"Well i think she should go, she's the only person my sister really listens to, if you want of course Lizzie" Emma says turning to me again and i nod
"I'm going" i say, making sure to grab a blanket for y/n and walking out of the room onto the roof of the hospital.

My eyes scan each person until i find her, from behind, holding onto the railing while she looks at the landscape in front of her.
I take a breath and slowly approach her, i spread out the blanket and place it gently on her shoulders, she doesn't get scared and doesn't say anything, as if she was waiting for me, as if she knew i would go to her.

I go next to her, keeping the right distance, after what i've told her i don't want her to think badly of me.
I too get lost looking at the landscape in front of me and i have to admit it, it takes my breath away every time i come up here, but it's her who makes everything more beautiful.
The rays of the sun perfectly outline her face making her even more justice, her eyes are like shiny marbles and i would lose hours looking at them.
She's damn beautiful.
"You don't want to catch cold" i say approaching her gently

She doesn't look at me, she's completely lost in her thoughts and only releases big sighs.
"My sister told you what happened before didn't she?" she says out of the blue
"Yes" i answer
"Good, i guess you think i'm just crazy as everyone thinks" she says in a bitter sarcastic tone
"No i don't think you're crazy, you have every reason in the world to react like this" i say
"But? There seems to be a but"
"But at the same time i understand him too" i didn't think to say it, especially knowing that she might hate me for saying this.
"He's an asshole Lizzie, he wants to kill my mother" she says and i notice her gripping the railing tightly.
"Yeah he is, he's the most asshole i've ever met... well between him and Robbie i don't know who is worse, but the point is, as much asshole he is, he still loves your mother and i think he's just exhausted by the situation. Seeing every day, for years, the love of your life in a bed that doesn't show signs of life isn't easy and maybe he's just tired of fighting. With this i'm not saying that this is the right solution, no one should decide about someone else's life, but at the same time i wonder, how far can exasperation take you?"